Compatibility between hardware

Hi all,

forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, I have some questions regarding the hardware and not my project itself. I am brand new to all this and am completely clueless so I need to ask. The project needs:

a) a temperature sensor
b) nodemcu
c) arduino uno

my questions are:

a) The project will need wifi and I found out that there is Arduino One Rev (original board)
3 and Arduino Uno Wifi (original board). Do I need the latter for the wifi connection or is the first one enough? the wifi implementation is through nodemcu so I don't know if the first one can work or I need the second one. As far as I understand nodemcu
is enough but I could be mistaken so which one do I need?

b) does the version of arduino affect a project? if so, how? for instance, what could possibly be affected with arduino v 1.6.31 VS a higher one?

c) what is the difference between nodemcu ch340g and nodemcu cp2102 ? are both compatible with arduino uno?

d) are all the stuff above compatible with each other? dht11,nodemcu, arduino uno (either version), nodemcu (either version)

I'm at the stage of trying to order the stuff I will need and don't wanna screw this up so if anyone can provide insight on these questions, I'd be very grateful

thanks in advance

NodeMCU and clones thereof are meant to be used as the microcontroller and programmed directly, not to provide WiFi access to another microcontroller. It may be possible to use them for that (though you'd have to load the AT firmware onto them), assuming the connections to the onboard serial converter are done the way they should be, with series resistors so the Uno can talk to it without the onboard serial converter fighting it. But why not use a module meant for this, instead of using the NodeMCU module?

The rest is no problem.

There is no 1.6.31.

There's 1.6.13 (the last of the 1.6.x's), but we're now up to 1.8.2 (1.7.x was skipped, long story). All the 1.8.x releases have been good so far; the 1.6.x releases are hit and miss (1.6.5r5, 1.6.9, 1.6.12, 1.6.13 were good, rest were at least mildly bad). 1.8.2 fixed compatibility with windows XP (which had been broken since I think some time in 1.5.x), so if you're stuck developing on XP, you need 1.8.2

DrAzzy:
NodeMCU and clones thereof are meant to be used as the microcontroller and programmed directly, not to provide WiFi access to another microcontroller. It may be possible to use them for that (though you'd have to load the AT firmware onto them), assuming the connections to the onboard serial converter are done the way they should be, with series resistors so the Uno can talk to it without the onboard serial converter fighting it. But why not use a module meant for this, instead of using the NodeMCU module?

honestly, I have no idea. this is a brand new project assignment and I have zero experience whatsoever with arduino and pretty much anything related to it. I just figured since there's hardware involved, there may be compatibility issues and I did search online before posting here but it's all greek to me :stuck_out_tongue:

so basically, I am "forced" to use this equipment but I had no data on compatibility between the pieces. also, and forgive me for asking, while I semi-understood your initial sentence in this quote, I'm still unclear on if the Arduino Uno can work with this project or if I need that other one that's called Arduino Uno WiFi :confused:

forgive my ignorance please, I have literally zero experience with ANYTHING related to all this. same goes for the programming part of it, but I got the hang of that already after reading up online and watching tutorials. it's the hardware part that has my mind boggled