compile "external" C++ robotics libraries using arduino

Hey guys,

I'm not even sure if the subject is phrased correctly as I'm not a programming expert.

This is what I understand of the arduino and its programing language:

All standard c/c++ libraries supported by the avr-g++ compiler should work (ref: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/FAQ)

Now I want to use one of these robotics libraries: roboop (http://sourceforge.net/projects/roboop/) or orocos kdl (http://www.orocos.org/kdl)

From what I know about them, they need to be "built" or "compiled" before they can be used using tools such as cygwin and Cmake. In terms of their dependencies I think orocos requires a library called Eigen2. Finally they can both be installed on windows or linux.

I have no idea what it means to "build" or "compile" them before you can use them, but all I really want to know is if I manage to install one of these and create some code using these libraries, and then include the resulting .cpp file as a header in an arduino sketch, and I guess place the entire library in the sketch folder, would it compile and run on the arduino?? (assuming there was enough memory).

I hope thats clear (it never is no matter how well I try to phrase my questions lol).

Thanks in advance.

This is what I understand of the arduino and its programing language:

All standard c/c++ libraries supported by the avr-g++ compiler should work

No. What do you expect popen(), fork(), etc. to do? The code will compile on the Arduino, but it will not work, for any reasonable definition of work.

From what I know about them, they need to be "built" or "compiled" before they can be used using tools such as cygwin and Cmake.

Wrong. They need to be compiled by the compiler that is being used to link to functions in the libraries.

I have no idea what it means to "build" or "compile" them

Hmmm. That's going to be a real problem.

but all I really want to know is if I manage to install one of these and create some code using these libraries, and then include the resulting .cpp file as a header in an arduino sketch

No. You include header files, not object modules. The linker takes care of getting code from different object modules, created by the compiler.

ROBOOP Object oriented library in C++ for robotics simulation

Simulation? The Arduino can not SIMULATE a robot.

I hope thats clear

As mud.

Explain what you want to accomplish, not how you think you'll get there.

Well thanks for clearing all that up.. although its still not very clear. I don't need the whole "simulation" package fromm roboop. I just need a couple of functions/algorithms that do things like calculate forward and inverse kinematics and dynamics.

So for example, if there is a function inside roboop that says compute_inverse_kinematics(a,b,c)

I would like to use that function and many others like it in my arduino sketch (one way or the other) and then download the resulting programe to the arduino.

Anyways, after a lot of searching for similar libraries, it seems they are all difficult to install, have very few tutorials on using them, and aren't currently supported.

Hence my only options are to either run back to matlab where everything is nice and easy and just works! OR write my own robotics library in my favourite "easy" language; processing. It seems I'll be doing both.