Compile failure issue

Hi All

I am getting the following error message when i try to up-load or compile a sketch I am working on ... has been working well all weekend, but last night started getting this error, and I have no clue what it is referring to !

Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows XP), Board: "Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila, ATmega328"

I have deleted a lot of the verbose message here ...

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 5 exit status

Using library SoftwareSerial at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial 
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila.
I have deleted a lot of the verbose message here ...

Including the important part that says what the error was for. It's also a good idea to post the code that caused the error because without it we're sort of just feeling around in the dark on what caused it.

CharlieD: collect2.exe: error: ld returned 5 exit status

Since about two years nobody in the IDE developer team seems to care about compatibility issues with new Arduino-IDE versions and Windows XP

Windooze XP is OUTDATED FOREVER and you missid to do a Windows-Update in time! Beta-Testing of new IDE versions seems to be done with WIN7 WIN8, WIN10 and different LINUX and MAC OS versions ONLY nowadays.

So either Update your Windows (to 7 or 8 or 10) or dowgrade ayour Arduino-IDE to a version which was available two or more years ago. Or google for different solution, this topic about XP c ompile errors and new IDE versions has dozens of topics in this forum, I think. Some say, just replace the single file "ld.exe" with an older verion from an IDE released a few years ago instead using the ld.de from the current IDE.

It is usually the FIRST error and not the LAST error that is significant.

Delta_G: I have deleted a lot of the verbose message here ...

Including the important part that says what the error was for. It's also a good idea to post the code that caused the error because without it we're sort of just feeling around in the dark on what caused it.

Everything before the "Collect2.exe ... " line was references to which files were being accessed during compile. When I tried to "Preview" my post with all those lines, there were about 9kBytes of stuff ... i thought that the error message only would be more useful. What I posted was all the output in red in the IDE window.

jurs: Since about two years nobody in the IDE developer team seems to care about compatibility issues with new Arduino-IDE versions and Windows XP

Windooze XP is OUTDATED FOREVER and you missid to do a Windows-Update in time! Beta-Testing of new IDE versions seems to be done with WIN7 WIN8, WIN10 and different LINUX and MAC OS versions ONLY nowadays.

So either Update your Windows (to 7 or 8 or 10) or dowgrade ayour Arduino-IDE to a version which was available two or more years ago. Or google for different solution, this topic about XP c ompile errors and new IDE versions has dozens of topics in this forum, I think. Some say, just replace the single file "ld.exe" with an older verion from an IDE released a few years ago instead using the ld.de from the current IDE.

This sounds like the root of the issue ... thanks for that

Strange thing, though, is that everything worked fine all day Saturday and Sunday ... it was only while trimming some of the variables in my code that these errors started. Even now this is the case, although my sketch runs and interacts with the IDE with no errors, I cannot compile my next version of sketch...

CharlieD:

Strange thing, though, is that everything worked fine all day Saturday and Sunday ... it was only while trimming some of the variables in my code that these errors started. Even now this is the case, although my sketch runs and interacts with the IDE with no errors, I cannot compile my next version of sketch...

Yes, that's a significant description of the old-2001-XP with new-2016-Arduino-IDE problem: Some code compiles and uploads fine while very(!) small changes in the code makes everything ending up with the error message.

Did you find any of the dozens of previous threads about hat issue in this forum? It' been discussed in dozens of threads, some of them rather lengthy with some good suggestions how to make the latest IDE versions work with XP version from the dinosaur age flawlessly (in most cases). The problem seems to be that the new ld.exe included in newer IDE versions is only compatible to newer Windows versions than XP.

All fixed now ... It was time to get a new lap-top anyway, so now I am the proud, and poorer, owner of a windoze-10 laptop, new install of all I need for my hobbies, and good to go.

Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

Cheers, Charles

so now I am the [u]proud[/u], and poorer, owner of a windoze-10 laptop

You misspelled "embarrassed".