compiling error, file not be found, but in library

Hello, I hope someone can help me out!

I wanted to try out the new grove kit v3 with the first tutorial, lcd display with hello world text, and a compiling error occurs, for the reason that “wire.h” and the lcd file can not be connected, but I wonder why…

this is the file:

/*
Hello World.ino
2013 Copyright (c) Seeed Technology Inc. All right reserved.

Author:Loovee
2013-9-18

Grove - Serial LCD RGB Backlight demo.

This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
Lesser General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA
*/

#include <Wire.h>
#include “rgb_lcd.h”

rgb_lcd lcd;

const int colorR = 255;
const int colorG = 0;
const int colorB = 0;

void setup()
{
// set up the LCD’s number of columns and rows:
lcd.begin(16, 2);

lcd.setRGB(colorR, colorG, colorB);

// Print a message to the LCD.
lcd.print(“hello, world!”);

delay(1000);
}

void loop()
{
// set the cursor to column 0, line 1
// (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
// print the number of seconds since reset:
lcd.print(millis()/1000);

delay(100);
}

/*********************************************************************************************************
END FILE
*********************************************************************************************************/

and this is the problem text:

Arduino: 1.6.13 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/mac/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/mac/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/mac/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10613 -build-path /var/folders/rp/9j4l8zs96bb_h93qtv_r760c0000gn/T/arduino_build_542402 -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -verbose /Users/mac/Documents/Arduino/Grove_LCD_RGB_Backlight-master/examples/HelloWorld/HelloWorld.ino
/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/mac/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/mac/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/mac/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10613 -build-path /var/folders/rp/9j4l8zs96bb_h93qtv_r760c0000gn/T/arduino_build_542402 -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -verbose /Users/mac/Documents/Arduino/Grove_LCD_RGB_Backlight-master/examples/HelloWorld/HelloWorld.ino
Using board ‘uno’ from platform in folder: /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr
Using core ‘arduino’ from platform in folder: /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr
Detecting libraries used…
“/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10613 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “/var/folders/rp/9j4l8zs96bb_h93qtv_r760c0000gn/T/arduino_build_542402/sketch/HelloWorld.ino.cpp” -o “/dev/null”
“/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10613 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “-I/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/Wire/src” “/var/folders/rp/9j4l8zs96bb_h93qtv_r760c0000gn/T/arduino_build_542402/sketch/HelloWorld.ino.cpp” -o “/dev/null”
“/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10613 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “-I/Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/Wire/src” “/var/folders/rp/9j4l8zs96bb_h93qtv_r760c0000gn/T/arduino_build_542402/sketch/HelloWorld.ino.cpp” -o “/var/folders/rp/9j4l8zs96bb_h93qtv_r760c0000gn/T/arduino_build_542402/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp”
/Users/mac/Documents/Arduino/Grove_LCD_RGB_Backlight-master/examples/HelloWorld/HelloWorld.ino:26:21: fatal error: rgb_lcd.h: No such file or directory
#include “rgb_lcd.h”
^
compilation terminated.
Bibliothek Wire in Version 1.0 im Ordner: /Users/mac/Downloads/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/Wire wird verwendet
exit status 1
Fehler beim Kompilieren für das Board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Thank you for your help! :slight_smile:

(deleted)

Thank you for your suggestion! I downloaded the library and put it into the sketchbook (I had to create a Sketchbook folder though because it did not exist -> Documents/Arduino/Sketchbook). The blinking example works fine. So I wonder where the problem might be...

After installing the library and restarting the IDE you should see the library listed at Sketch > Include Library? If not then you didn't install it correctly.

Thank you :wink: Somehow I managed and it worked - just want to mention for future readers that I had to move 3.3V to 5V as the letters did not show up on the lcd.

I did not do what you just wrote, which is far more logic, because I moved the .h file into the folder I was using, then it worked but it would be stupid to do this for all the folders…so now I included it! in the older version the lcd screen is not called <LiquidCrystal.h> I guess this was also part of the issue.

A big thank you! :slight_smile:

(deleted)

It's usually preferable to install the library to the {sketchbook folder}/libraries folder instead of to the sketch directory. The only time I do that is when I want the sketch to be a self contained package to make it easy for someone else to use without needing to install the required 3rd party libraries.