Compiling error

[color=#202124]I have a problem with this https://mtech.dk/thomsen/Husky/repairs/vdo.php

[img]http://http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/43r1k3axh2lvvnxv06cbishyvtiqt73x[/img]What are we doing wrong?[/color]

Hello,
Please read https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=712201.0

Then go back and supply the information requested. No one can help you with such a vague question and no information.

Did you forget to chnge the name of the folder to VOD? You are missing the included files.

vdo.ino:38:26:error:splashscreen.h:No such file or directory
a mistake in what I am wrong?

OK - here we go :

EXTACT the ZIP file
Rename the FOLDER to VOD from VOD_Release3. Open this folder, double click on the VOD.ino file.

Arduino: 1.8.11 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)"

VDO:72:10: error: splashscreen.h: No such file or directory

#include "splashscreen.h"

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
splashscreen.h: No such file or directory

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

[color=#202124]if I understood the mistake well again?[/color]

YOU are extracting the file wrong!

Get the ZIP, right click, extract, rename the new folder to VOB, go into the VOB folder, double click VOB!

We should NOT have to hold your hand on extracting a folder from ZIP.

thanks it's ok i have another problem?
Arduino: 1.8.11 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

C:\Users\Gagi\Desktop\VDO_release3 (1)\VOB\VDO\VDO.ino: In function 'void setup()':

VDO:265:83: error: no matching function for call to 'Adafruit_ssd1306syp::initialize(int, int, int, int)'

display.initialize(DISPLAY_HEIGHT, DISPLAY_Y_POSITION_OFFSET, DISPLAY_FLIP, 0x7F); // looks like this oled only has one contrast level

^

In file included from C:\Users\Gagi\Desktop\VDO_release3 (1)\VOB\VDO\VDO.ino:70:0:

C:\Users\Gagi\Documents\Arduino\libraries\OLED/Adafruit_ssd1306syp.h:31:15: note: candidate: virtual bool Adafruit_ssd1306syp::initialize(int)

virtual bool initialize(int contrast);

^~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Gagi\Documents\Arduino\libraries\OLED/Adafruit_ssd1306syp.h:31:15: note: candidate expects 1 argument, 4 provided

C:\Users\Gagi\Desktop\VDO_release3 (1)\VOB\VDO\VDO.ino:273:33: warning: invalid conversion from 'const unsigned char*' to 'uint8_t* {aka unsigned char*}' [-fpermissive]

display.drawBitmap(24, 0, Logo);

^

In file included from C:\Users\Gagi\Desktop\VDO_release3 (1)\VOB\VDO\VDO.ino:70:0:

C:\Users\Gagi\Documents\Arduino\libraries\OLED/Adafruit_ssd1306syp.h:45:15: note: initializing argument 3 of 'virtual void Adafruit_ssd1306syp::drawBitmap(int16_t, int16_t, uint8_t*)'

virtual void drawBitmap(int16_t lines, int16_t ofs, uint8_t bitmap);

^~~~~~~~~~

Multiple libraries were found for "Adafruit_GFX.h"
Used: C:\Users\Gagi\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library
Not used: C:\Users\Gagi\Documents\Arduino\libraries\OLED
exit status 1
no matching function for call to 'Adafruit_ssd1306syp::initialize(int, int, int, int)'

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

missdew,
incorrect information with misspellings are adding to the confusion.
i.e. EXTACT vs EXTRACT, VOD vs VDO and VOB instead of VDO,

taho,
Unfortunately, this project needs updates, as it looks looks like it was neglected for quite some time and the minor tweaks done a year ago (feb 2020) were simply not good enough to get the project back on track with newer Arduino tools and libraries.

One big item is that, IMO, this project should be using source control.
No ifs, ands or buts....
I mean decent source control tools have existing now going back 50 years (on unix).
And decent source control tools have now existed on Windows for more than 30 years.
And fantastic tools like git with cloud based syncing have now existed for over 12+ years including gui based git tools that are now available on all popular OSes, including some that fully integrate into the native file managers.
IMO, Any project of any value should be in source control.
There is no good excuse for not using git and a repository like github, bitbucket, atlassian, etc, for a project like this.
It makes things much more manageable, and much easier for all involved.

In terms of specific technical issues for this code:

There are some dependencies on some old adafruit libraries, that are tricky to resolve since you have use some files provided by this project instead of the latest official libraries.
So you can't just install it the way the instructions say, especially you already have some adafruit libraries installed.
And then if you do manage to get the files in the right place in your libraries area to be found, there are other issues.
Like:

• it will break any other sketches that use the newer adafruit libraries
  • this VDO project sketch no longer compiles with the newer IDE versions (I tested on 1.8.13) because of some changes in the gcc toolset and the commandline options that IDE uses.

None of the fixes are difficult. They just need to be done to clean up the project and get it working again with the latest tools and libraries.

So, IMO, there are several things that need to be corrected to get the project cleaned up and truly working again.
My recommendation for this project would be;

1. get the code into git and use a cloud repository like github, bitbucket, etc... to host it.
    This should be a top priority.
    This not only provides a place for users to get the code but
    also allows tracking everything, along with offering a way for users to report issues.

2. fix the code to work with latest adafruit libraries
    There are several small changes that must be made and this will remove the need to have a complicated and clunky install that uses very old adafruit library code.

3. fix the code to work with the latest 1.8.13 IDE
    There are some small changes that must be made due to the newer gcc tools and the command line options that the IDE is now using. (some things are a bit more strict now do the IDE options selected - more strict than necessary IMO)

none of these are difficult.
They just need to be done.

I would contact denMike and lean on him to get the project up on github and get the project updated for the latest IDE and adafruit tools.
Until the code is updated for the latest tools and libraries, it won't build for many people and there will lots of odd little issues that can be frustrating and/or even impossible to fully resolve even after editing the code and relocating the provided files.

--- bill

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.