Compiling Problems

Hello, my name is Larry Jennings. I am a Ham Radio operator, call sign WB5IZL. I live in Greenville, Texas. I have recently begun to experiment with the Arduino Uno board. I have been able to get the Arduino SoftwareSerial.h library to drive my 2X16 LCD display at 2400 baud. I have modified a program to drive the display, clear the display and position the cursor where desired. I am including this short sketch as an attachment to this input. My LCD display works fine when the output on pin 9 of the Uno is inverted then applied to the serial input.

The serial program is attached.

The problems occur when I modified a sketch written by Glen Popiel, KW5GP. It is used to drive an Analog Devices AD9833 waveform generator module. This project was document in his book, “Arduino for Ham Radio”, published by the American Radio Relay League. Chapter 18 of this book details both the software and hardware for a Waveform Generator driving a 2X16 IIC LCD display. I have modified that program to use my 2X16 display and the SoftwareSerial sketches written and tested earlier. The Modified program is attached.

I am using a Dell Latitude 6400 laptop computer running the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system.

I tried using the Arduino 1.06 IDS to compile the Waveform Generator (modified by me) and got a bunch of compilation errors. I am including a copy of these errors – they are listed below:

Waveform_Generator2.ino: In function ‘void WriteFrequencyAD9833(long int)’:
Waveform_Generator2.ino:159:47: error: no matching function for call to ‘SoftwareSerial::write(StringSumHelper&)’
Waveform_Generator2.ino:159:47: note: candidates are:
In file included from Waveform_Generator2.ino:39:0:
/usr/share/arduino/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:92:18: note: virtual size_t SoftwareSerial::write(uint8_t)
virtual size_t write(uint8_t byte);
^
/usr/share/arduino/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:92:18: note: no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘StringSumHelper’ to ‘uint8_t {aka unsigned char}’
In file included from /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Stream.h:26:0,
from /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.h:28,
from /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Arduino.h:193,
from /usr/share/arduino/libraries/SPI/SPI.h:15,
from Waveform_Generator2.ino:36:
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.h:53:20: note: virtual size_t Print::write(const uint8_t*, size_t)
virtual size_t write(const uint8_t buffer, size_t size);
^
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.h:53:20: note: candidate expects 2 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.h:49:12: note: size_t Print::write(const char
)
size_t write(const char str) {
^
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.h:49:12: note: no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘StringSumHelper’ to ‘const char

Waveform_Generator2.ino (7.81 KB)

SerialOutputTest.ino (1.84 KB)

try:

gotoXY(1,1);
  mySerial.print(frequency);  // Display the current frequency on the LCD
  mySerial.print(" Hz   ");

You might also try emailing Glen directly...he's good about answering questions about his code.

W8TEE

This is problem in library file .

Can you share us complete code & associated library. Then only we can help you