complete beginner, led control.

Hi

I recently updated my PC motherboard and the new motherboard doesn't pulse the power led when it is sleeping, i liked that on my old board because i knew instantly when i went up to it whether it was off or just asleep.

Im thinking about using a arduino to 'replicate' this, I'm thinking i could connect the arduino to the power LED header on the motherboard and use the arduino to control a LED, (probably the existing LED in the case).

What i would like is when the arduino detects the is power at the motherboard header then the LED is on as normal, but when it detects there is no power there ( i.e. the motherboard has turned the power LED off ) i would like the LED to pulse. ( already had a play with 'fade' in the samples )

But wasn't sure where to start controlling it all.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

You can indeed use that. But what is telling the Arduino the difference between sleeping and off?

By the way, with the quick start up time of win 10 you don't really need sleep...

septillion:
You can indeed use that. But what is telling the Arduino the difference between sleeping and off?

By the way, with the quick start up time of win 10 you don't really need sleep...

Thanks for the reply.

As it is now, when the pc is running the power led is illuminated. When it sleeps the power led is off. So I'm working on, power on the motherboard header then illuminate the led. No power on the motherboard header pulse the led.

Don't use Windows running I'm running OS X.

Oh yeah I see what you mean. When the PCs is off the usb ports aren't powered are they? Then the arduino will be powered off.