Complete newbee

Hi,

I just bought the Arduino Diecemila, installed the Arduino 011-software in my Windows Vista Business system. I have no idea of boards and programming at all, I do this as a pleasure for my 6 year old son, who wants to program little roboters. So forgive me.

Ok. Doesn’t run. I can’t upload even a blink-program. I can compile but not upload. It was kind of a mess to install the USB-Drivers, but now Arduino board is reckognized. I’m not very used to Windows, I used to work on Macs since ever.

The message is:

Binary sketch size: 1096 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

What goes wrong, and how can I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

BSG

P.S.: Yessss, I used to search function; but the answer did not help me. and I have no clue, how to practice this advice:

OK, first read the getting started section on the Arduino homepage, it will help. Make sure you have NOTHING attached to the arduino and the PWR jumper is in the USB position. Plug in your USB cable and windows should make the “I found hardware” sound. Try loading the sketch again and if it fails check to see if you have the correct port selected, sometimes if there are more than one the wrong one gets selected. Let us know how it goes.

Oh. So easy. I always was confessed (I think I should say “annoyed” or “unsure”; not sure about correct vocabularies) about finding no USB-Port under “Ports”. I altered from port “COM1” to “COM3” and now itw works and LED13 changes speed when I change delay.

Thank you. I’m sure I have to be here again when son starts working.

bsg

One thing that has come up in other forums is to check the wiring BEFORE you power up circuits your son puts together. It will, in the long run save you headaches and hardware.

One thing that has come up in other forums is to check the wiring BEFORE you power up circuits your son puts together. It will, in the long run save you headaches and hardware.

:sunglasses: Good tip. As long as I understand them I’ll do that. Or I have to grow with him.

bsg