complete noob question

Hi.. I have a gadget running on 12v ( this : JVC KS-BTA100 Bluetooth® adapter for select JVC receivers at Crutchfield ). It has a set of controls on it that when pushed allows for skip/pauze/play etc.
I wish to tap into this with a arduino 2009 without having to use a relay to short the contact.
Is that possible? I suspect the device runs on 12v just as the arduino (both will have the same power source) How would you advice me to proceed?

Cheers

Carefully.

You will need to study the circuit board to see if the switch has a common Gnd connected to each switch. I doubt this will be the case. It is more likely to be a grid.

Running the arduino on 12v is within specifications but higher than ideal.

Weedpharma

Maybe an optocoupler can do that .

Optocoupler looks like it might work. Is there any you would recommend?
Ultimatly I need only to "switch" 3 inputs.
2 of those will be short switching and long switching, ie "next track" or "fast forward"

The Arduino does -not- run on 12V.

It has an onboard 5V regulator, the chip runs from 5V. The -regulator- can accept 12V input.

The Arduino does -not- run on 12V.

It has an onboard 5V regulator, the chip runs from 5V. The -regulator- can accept 12V input.

The Arduino does run on 12V :grin:
The avr not!
The -regulator- can accept 12V input.I also agree :grin: :grin:

Which was exactly what I said. Still, it does not -run- on 12V. Everything on their except the regulator is running on 5V.

Otherwise, some poor noob (gee, I think there is one nearby) may think that you can put 12V on the input and output pins, too.

We live and learn: I had to ask Messrs Google what the heck an "arduino 2009" is.

ARDUINO 2009