Comport assignment in Linux-Mint

Hi, I have set up Mint with Arduino and after this Terminal command,
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB0
it is working fine to and from the Arduino.

I have a windows program that uses the comport to communicate with the Arduino via the Serial (comport) and all worked well with windows but now I am using and loving Mint.

I tried using the Terminal command
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 com1
as directed in the help pages at WineHQ and it processed without error. But, the windows program under Wine cannot see the comport.

Any thoughts on how to fix this and make it permanent through a reboot?

Thanks

but now I am using and loving Mint.

So, drink the wine. Don't use it to run Windoze crap.

What directory did you use for the soft link? You are supposed to use ~/.wine/dosdevices

What version of Mint are you using?

What version of Wine are you using?

What Windows are you set up for with Wine, and what Windows is your program set up for?

The two commands that you showed

ln -s /dev/ttyS0 com1

are permanent through a reboot on a normal linux (e.g. Mint).
However, if your linux is running from a Live CD (and perhaps in other situations) then there is going to be a permanency issue. What are you really doing?

What Windows program are you using the requires you to use Wine?

There is probably a native Linux equivalent.

IMHO Wine promises a great deal more than it delivers - nothing I ever wanted to use would work.

...R

I don't know details about the Wine. Maybe it needs to be permanently mapped in Linux first. I'm using Mint with Windows in Virtual Box. Under the Windows it is mapped permanently at first connection - written in registers.

vaj4088:
What directory did you use for the soft link? You are supposed to use ~/.wine/dosdevices

Ahhh, OK, I wondered about the COM1 file sitting in the Home Folder.

Latest Mint Cinnamon, 18.1
Latest Wine 2.0-rc3
Set for Windows 8.1

Will move the file and try again. Thanks very much for the Help.

And, the windows software is a complete IoT suite I have written for our home system, complete with SQLIte databases, direct control of Nodes etc. Way too big and complicated to easily convert to Linux based at this stage.

SalineSolution:
Hi, I have set up Mint with Arduino and after this Terminal command,
it is working fine to and from the Arduino.

I have a windows program that uses the comport to communicate with the Arduino via the Serial (comport) and all worked well with windows but now I am using and loving Mint.

I tried using the Terminal command
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 com1
as directed in the help pages at WineHQ and it processed without error. But, the windows program under Wine cannot see the comport.

Any thoughts on how to fix this and make it permanent through a reboot?

Thanks

Sure. Stick the chmod command into

[b]/etc/rc.local[/b]

I am quite sure that the boot process (up to and including executing rc.local) is run as root, so you shouldn't need "sudo".

Not 100% sure though... I log into and run my computer as root, so I can't test it here... :slight_smile: