compound IR eye

I have an IR compound eye that came with a robot kit I bought.
It is connected to a V7 shield from Robotshop and mounted to a pan/tilt bracket.
The controller is a UNO.

It has 8 dark leds around to outside and 4 clear leds inside of the board.

I have been trying to get it to work properly.
It moves very erratically.

The code I have is pretty complex and long.

It is to operate the entire robot, wheels, speaker and the IR module.
I have been trying to write a IR test code to see if I can get it to track like it should.

Does any one have code, or a suggestion, where I can get code to test this IR?

Thank you,
Dale

It has 8 dark leds around to outside and 4 clear leds inside of the board.

LEDs are, in my experience, emitters of radiation.
Eyes are, also in my experience, receivers of radiation.

We seem to have a mismatch of expectations and understanding.

I don't think I understand this.

rzw0wr:

Unless you treat them very specifically, LEDs are usually only emitters of electromagnetic radiation, but an eye is normally usually a receiver.

Don't you see a problem with this?

I am very new to all of this.
I don't know much.

I was asking for help not cryptic answers.

Please explain what I am thinking wrong.

The program I have and the paper work call the leds and says it is an IR compound eye.

That is pretty much all I know.

Thank you,
Dale

An LED is a "Light Emitting Diode".
Note the use of the verb "emit"

An eye receives light.

I'm asking for an explanation of your understanding of what you think your device is supposed to do.

My understanding is that this module should detect an object in front of it.

When programmed correctly it should track that object using the pan and tilt servos.

Thank you,
Dale

OK, without any further details of "this module", I'm going to duck out of this discussion.
It's going nowhere.

I am sorry groove.
I guess I don't know what you are asking.

Thank you,
Dale

I guess I don't know what you are asking.

I have an IR compound eye that came with a robot kit I bought.

Jesus H Christ, how difficult is it for you to comprehend that you haven't told us ANYTHING?

I told you all I know. :confused:

It is an IR compound eye board.
It has 8 dark emitter, LED shaped around the outside edge of the board.
I has 4 clear, LED shaped receptors in the middle of the board.
It is attached to a pan/tilt attachment with 2 servos.

It hooks to the V7 shield on top of my UNO board.

There are 7 wires coming from the IR board.
2- 5 connect to the analog pins for the emitters.
1 wire for the ground or negative..
1 digital wire to the receptors in the center of the board.

The IR board should detect an object in front of the IR board and when the object moves the IR should track it.
Left, right, up or down.

This is about all I know about it unless you want to know what pins I have the 7 wires coming out of the IR board connected to.

Thank you,
Dale

If the sensor you have is the one I'm thinking of (of course a link would have been nice), then Russell Cameron (aka OddBot) designed it for Dagu Robotics.

OddBot used to support Dagu products over on Let's Make Robots (LMR) but LMR was recently purchased by RobotShop (aka Evil Incarnate Inc.). The new owners managed to make most of us (former) active members of LMR leave. Many of us former members of LMR (including OddBot) now talk about our robots over at RobotRebels.org.

There used to be lots of resources for the Compound IR Eye on LMR but the new demonic owners have deleted all the posts made by members who wouldn't agree to their new terms of service. You might try asking a question about the compound eye at Robot Rebels. There's a good chance OddBot will reply. Of course RobotShop has a forum and if you're willing to sell your soul you could ask a question there.

rzw0wr:

You were calling both the IR LEDs and the IR phototransistors "LEDs". Goove correctly pointed out one generally doesn't use LEDs for both emitting "light" and sensing it (though this is possible).

IIRC, the four clear objects are the IR LEDs and the eight dark objects are phototransistors. The dark plastic of the phototransistors filters out much of the visible light so the sensors aren't bothered (as much) by the ambient light.

It takes a while to learn how to ask good questions on forums like these. Don't be surprised if you get razed a bit when people think you didn't provide enough information. You see Groove's comments as "cryptic" (and possibly rude). IMO, he's been downright friendly. If you ask OddBot a question, he'll likely give you a harder time than Groove if he thinks you haven't done your share of the work.

When you ask a question on a forum, you shouldn't expect people to know what you're asking about. Help them help you by providing links (using URL tags) to the items you're asking about. Of course no one is "asking for cryptic answers" but you'll likely get them. You're asking for free help. Receiving a bit of razing is the price you pay for the help.

If you're lucky someone will say "you're doing it wrong". I find these replies the most helpful (when I am doing it wrong).

I'm relatively new to this forum but I've been participating in other technical forums for several years and cryptic questions like yours are very common. It gets tiresome to have to request links to documentation. It's not uncommon for replies to these sorts of requests to come with a bit of humor or sarcasm. Don't worry about it. It's usually justified and you just don't know enough to realize how poorly your question was asked.

I think a good place to start with our problem is to make a very simple program which displays the data from the eye to the serial terminal. This will likely help you understand what the program is doing.

I was typing this while the last few posts were made. Goove is correct. You haven't told us much. I happen to know what you're talking about because I'm familiar with the sensor.

rzw0wr:
I told you all I know. :confused:

You can’t find a link to the product?

This looks a lot like the description Home - Robot R Us

Whandall, that is exactly it.

I am also on a model train forum and I understand giving all the information you can.

I don't have anymore information than I stated before.

I did not have a manufacture name or a website to post.

This IR board came in a kit.

Nothing was explained and no documentation with it.

Thank you to all that replied,
Dale

rzw0wr:
This IR board came in a kit.

Was this a "Mr. General" kit? Here's a link to the manual for Mr. General (warning it's a .pdf file).

It's really too bad all the resources which were once available at Let's Make Robots have been deleted. I know OddBot had at least one good article about the compound eye sensor. I believe there were several articles on the subject.

I think there's a good chance OddBot has code to test the sensor. You might want to ask a question at Robot Rebels.

There's a chance someone here could isolate the compound eye code from the larger robot code. You could attach the zipped program so others here could look at it.

There is some software for the compound IR eye

(Arduino) Demonstration of compound eye proximity and motion detection

(Arduino) Debug version for setting threshold of compound eye photodetectors

Thank you all for the replies.

I think I am getting a handle on this.

DuaneDegn,
The manual explained some things and cleared up some others.
The program I have was written for that robot.
The extra pins were one thing that confused me.

Thank you again, you were very helpful.
Dale