Computer controlled stepper motor - micron level

Hi All:

I am working on revamping a project that requires movement of a bolt/screw attached to a stepper motor in the forward and reverse direction at the micron level, for a max movement of +/- 5 mm. A previous set up (photo included) used components that were not documented and LabVIEW programming. ARDUINO recommended using the Motor Shield Rev3 as a controller. I’m fairly new at this, so recommendations on the set-up (stepper motors, cables, controllers, programming) would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Stretcher.PNG

Do you have or can you get the torque specs on the present motor. That would give you a starting point for choosing the motor. Once you have a motor chosen, then choose an appropriate stepper motor driver. The motor shield might be OK but specialized stepper drivers will be more efficient and have features that are not present with the shield.

Stepper motor basics might have information of interest.

Image from Reply #NN Original Post so we don’t have to download it. See this Simple Image Guide

ec2f8511b5744a02e7ba3582104318dbd079d68f.png

…R

Is the motor shown in the photo a combined motor/gearbox? Does it still work?
Does it use a stepper motor?
How many degrees of rotation are required per micron of movement?
Does it have a torque limiter to prevent the thread from being stripped?
How do you calibrate for backlash when the direction of rotation changes?

Unfortunately we don't have any of the previous parts. However I can tell that the previous stepper motor was a Dynamixel AX-12a that was hooked up to an unknown usb servo controller which relayed to LabVIEW. I am essentially starting back from scratch on this project.

D_Regan:
Unfortunately we don't have any of the previous parts. However I can tell that the previous stepper motor was a Dynamixel AX-12a that was hooked up to an unknown usb servo controller which relayed to LabVIEW. I am essentially starting back from scratch on this project.

Are you saying that you DON'T have the power supply either?

Paul

If you are starting from scratch, just buy a motorised axis for a CNC milling machine. These things are sold as replacement parts or CNC conversion kits.

Pick one that offers the precision and repeatability you require. Use the power supply and stepper motor driver recommended by the manufacturer and drive that with the Arduino.

Correct, I am quite literally starting from scratch.

D_Regan:
Correct, I am quite literally starting from scratch.

I have a customer that has a product that does similar movement of microscope stages using a stepper motor and a worm/gear to move the stage. I do not know the devices he uses for the rest of the product.

Paul