Conductivity trigger please help

Hi all, I'm currently trying to set-up a hydroponic system. However I have run into some trouble. I'm trying to figure out a way to take the last result from the conductivity meter in Vernier Logger Pro software to paste inside a area inside Arduino code. The aim of this is to act as a trigger value to turn a relay on/off to pump nutrients into my system. I'm also trying to figure out how to define this range parameter to allow the relay to turn on/off. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. I know the parts I need but not how to program it to do the things I need.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think you need to provide more detail.

the conductivity meter in Vernier Logger Pro software

What is this, are you going to attach the same conductivity meter to the arduino? If not how are you going to measure it. What units does it get it's readings in.

'm also trying to figure out how to define this range parameter to allow the relay to turn on/off.

That depends on what you are trying to achieve and what the relay will be doing.

Most people here are not experts in your project, they are experts in processors and interfacing.

The Vernier conductivity meter attaches to its own data logger. The data logger than records the data to a program on the computer. I'm trying to find a way to take the data from that program and put it on the Arduino in realtime. The Arduino will then read the value and when it drops below a defined number it will trigger a 12v water pump to pump more salt nutrients in increasing the number arduino receives and pushes it past the defined number and switches the pump off. However the only way I know how to shift the data recorded in the program is to use the gobetwino to open the program and perform the key strokes to paste to a txt file. Then somehow have arduino read the number in the text file and compare it to the range it has. This limits me to a Windows environment and I would much prefer to use my Linux environment.

I'm trying to find a way to take the data from that program and put it on the Arduino in realtime.

Write your own application that access "the data" (however that needs to be done) and sends it to the serial port that the Arduino is connected to.

However the only way I know how to shift the data recorded in the program is to use the gobetwino to open the program and perform the key strokes to paste to a txt file.

If one application is able to generate the keystrokes needed to copy and paste data, another application can, too. It''s really unlikely that copy/paste to another file is the only way to get the data, though.

This limits me to a Windows environment and I would much prefer to use my Linux environment.

So, fire up your favorite application development suite, and get started developing something.

Okay so I've found a way to do it. Do you know what code i would need for the Arduino to constantly read a text file and act in accordance to it by either turning the relay on/off

Do you know what code i would need for the Arduino to constantly read a text file and act in accordance to it by either turning the relay on/off

The Arduino can not read a text file, unless it is on an SD card in a SD card reader on a shield. If it had one, the PC won't be able to write to it.

Try again.

This website gives code in the Processing Language http://arduinobasics.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/reading-text-or-csv-file-using.html which lets Arduino read it couldn’t I use this same code?

couldn't I use this same code?

No you can't use processing code on an arduino.

You cannot use processing code on an arduino, but you can use processing to send text file values to an Arduino. See my blog for more details : http://arduinobasics.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/reading-from-text-file-and-sending-to.html

This may or may not be what you were after. Depends on whether you want the Arduino connected to your computer or not. But then again, XBees may be able to help you there.