Confirmation of Arduino Duemilanove not working please

Hi guys, I had a little mishap with my setup the other night. The equation went like this: pot + 9volts = smoking pot

Because I work offshore and I was doing this in my room I quickly unplugged everything and put it away. I bring it out tonight and plug the board into the PC to have another play and windows comes up with a message "USB Device Not Recognised. A USB device has malfunctioned and windows cannot determine what it is."

I have the latest drivers installed and it was working perfectly fine 2 nights ago. I tried re-installing the drivers and again no luck. Did my frying incident the other night damage more than I thought? The Pot was using AI 0. Arduino Duemilanove is what I am running and I had ethershield plugged in on top at the time. (no ethernet program in the duino).

Just after a yay or neigh answer as to whether its time to buy a new one please.

There is a possibility that the USB-to-serial chip is damaged. Although how damaging a potentiometer can lead to that is a mystery to me.

Just to make sure, try running the Loop-Back test, as described here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html

Post back with the results. If it works, then it's not a total loss. :)

Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried what you have suggested. After changing my USB cable windows could recognise it. However the loopback doesn't work. I've tried the drivers and still no luck. When I try and load a sketch the tx rx leds do not light up. I'vew tried holding down the reset button till Binary sketch size: 1026 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum) pops up.

I think I put 9volts on input 0. Would this cook anything?