Confusion with ShiftOut() function

The Arduino reference shows the following parameters in the brackets for ShiftOut(dataPin,ClockPin,bitOrder,value).
BUT, the examples in the tutorial on controlling 74HC595 do not include the 'bitOrder' parameter in the brackets. e.g. ShiftOut(dataPin, ClockPin, value). Also, some examples posted to the forum leave out the bitOrder parameter. What is the correct usage???

Also, when I try to use the function as defined, i.e. ShiftOut(dataPin,ClockPin,bitOrder,value), I get the compiler error message:"error ShiftOut was not declared in this scope". What the heck does that mean???

Thx.

Hi,
the ShiftOut function used in the tutorial for the 74HC595 is defined inside the code examples you are looking at
this function uses 3 params as you found out, but it is not to be confused with the shiftOut() function from the Arduino reference section.

The code-examples for the 74HC595 definitly need an update!
In your own code you can simply use the standard Arduino-Language shiftOut() function with 4 params (including the bitorder).

Also, when I try to use the function as defined, i.e. ShiftOut(dataPin,ClockPin,bitOrder,value), I get the compiler error message:"error ShiftOut was not declared in this scope". What the heck does that mean???

This is probably a typing error? The functions name is shiftOut(). Arduino-language is case sensitiv.
Eberhard