Connect an Arduino into a Wi-Fi network using NRF24L01 (without shield)

Hi,

I have an Arduino with Wi-Fi NRF24L01+ module and I need to connect it into an existing WLAN. Does anyone know how to do this? Which libraries I need? How to configure it?

Thanks, Dantas

The Nrf24L01 can not join a wlan because it has nothing to deal with wifi except it uses the same frequencies.

So, do I need to use a shield to do this?

How about a different approach. Has anyone produced a promiscuous driver for a simple usb wifi dongle that can possibly communicate with the nrf24l01? It seems that a hardware level driver could bypass and share the dongle with the tcp stack to achieve this.

I do, but you can't do it directly as it's not a WiFi device, although it works in the same frequency band.

I have a 1284P based board and one thing I am still working on is my nRF to Ethernet gateway. I have this working to receive RF packets then format into GET request to a web service for insertion to a mySQL database, using nRF24L01+ radio and ENC28J60 ethernet modules.

An easy way to make this WiFi is to use a TP-Link Nano Router WL702N (£15 on ebay) in Client mode. You just connect a short Cat5 or Cat6 cable from ethernet to Nano and you're now into a 802b/g/n network.

It works with anything with RJ45 port; games consoles, smart TV's etc, NAS etc.

It will work with any Arduino ethernet shield or module and is a cheaper alternative than WiFi shield or modules. :-)

diogodhd:
Hi,

I have an Arduino with Wi-Fi NRF24L01+ module and I need to connect it into an existing WLAN. Does anyone know how to do this? Which libraries I need? How to configure it?

Thanks,
Dantas

You might want to look at the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <–> TCP/IP gateway server and libraries. A Raspberry Pi with a nRF24L01+ daughterboard (the gateway) connects up to 255 nRF24L01+ enabled Arduino clients to your LAN/Internet.

You can do emails/Tweets/Xively/GET/PUT etc. all via nRF24L10+ connectivity from your Arduinos. Connect to https servers too. Some code examples using the libraries here (under “Example programs”.)