Connect arduino to pc through serial pins

Hi all, I was trying to connect my arduino uno to my pc using it's serial pins 0 and 1. Once I connect the usb cable into my pc, it gets me a message like "usb device not recognized".
I've tried to install custom drivers from zadig, but it wont install with "resource already exists" error.

I'm using a single usb cable for power it up and hopefully send and receive data, connected to 5v,gnd,0 and 1 pins.

Once I finish my project, I'd remove the chip from arduino board and make it standalone, so I need to make this connection work, if it's possible.

Can you post a photo of the connections? Does the USB cable include a USB to TTL converter? Why not just plug into the USB connector with a regular USB cable to program the Arduino?

The TTL pins (TX and RX) carry the same information as what you send via the USB. So while developing software, you do not have to worry; the future behaviour will be same as the current behaviour (assuming a Uno/Nano or similar).

If you want to use the processor in a stand alone setup, you need either a so-called FTDI cable (ttl-to-usb) or a MAX232 (ttl-to-rs232).

groundFungus:
Can you post a photo of the connections?

As soon as I get back to my desk I take it. I used a data cable, removed the micro usb port to free the cables, solded them to other jump wires and connected them to Arduino (data- > tx, data+ > rx) but my pc doesn't recognize arduino.

groundFungus:
Why not just plug into the USB connector with a regular USB cable to program the Arduino?

I meant that once it works, I'd like to remove the chip from Arduino board and make it work all from it's pins.

sterretje:
The TTL pins (TX and RX) carry the same information as what you send via the USB. So while developing software, you do not have to worry; the future behaviour will be same as the current behaviour (assuming a Uno/Nano or similar).

That's what I thought too, but it seems I did something wrong, but I don't know where.
Yes, my Arduino is a uno.

I did say that they carry the same information, not the same signals.

connected them to Arduino (data- > tx, data+ > rx) but my pc doesn't recognize arduino.

It does not work like that. Rx and Tx are totally different signals from data+ and data-

Buy a ftdi cable.

Well, I was hoping to make it work without buying other cables or similar, but maybe it's quite impossible in that way.

Is there a way to make a ftdi cable from scratch? EDIT: just looked for how a ftdi cable works, and got myself the answer, that's not possible

USB serial adapters are available for under two bucks shipped on eBay. I use the ch340g ones with black pcb and the little voltage switch, search ch340g 6pin to find them. They break out dtr so you can program a pro mini with them, and have configurable voltage with the switch, and it actually works when set to 3.3v (I have gotten a few cheapo designs that didnt)

smaso:
Well, I was hoping to make it work without buying other cables or similar, but maybe it's quite impossible in that way.

Yes, that is impossible.

smaso:
Is there a way to make a ftdi cable from scratch? EDIT: just looked for how a ftdi cable works, and got myself the answer, that's not possible

Look at the schematic of an Uno. It has a 328 micro and a 16U2 micro. They are connected through the 3 pins; from the 328 side, RX,TX and DTR.

An FTDI cable is nothing more than the equivalent of the 16U2 micro. You can make one yourself if really needed but not really worth the effort.