Connecting Ardiuno Usb to a Pocket PC / Smartphone

Hello.
How much in percentage do you think will I be able to communicate with an ARDUINO and a Windows MOBILE 6 Device (via USB) and this software: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm ? Or is this software for a special hardware. Is there software outthere that would recognise the actual com connection from the arduino usb?

Quote from the driver site: “Please note that FTDI devices will not function if the PDA does not have a USB host controller.”

Your phone must be a USB host for the driver to work. If it is i think it will work.

Well, I don’t think it has one. Most mobile phones don’t have one. At least, that’s what I read… So is there another solution?

If it can do “ordinary” serial communications on a serial port. Arduino can do serial communication on 2 digital pins (pin 0 and pin 1).

Mmmh… but how do I connect Arduino then to a mini usb port to a windows mobile 6 smartphone?

Mmmh… but how do I connect Arduino then to a mini usb port to a windows mobile 6 smartphone?

Sorry you can’t

Then is there a way to check IF my mobile phone has a USB host controller?
Is there an application as the “device manager” from windows xp?

As I understood if I have a serial port I could write an application in any language c, c++, c#, java, etc… to communicate with ARDUINO?

Is THIS (any language application^^) also possible with ARDUINO BT? If I could communicate with it in Bluetooth in ANY language then there would be no problem.

None of the mobile phone chips I have seen have a USB host controller in them. This goes for PDAs as well. In the unlikely event of you having a serial connector in the phone if you only have a mini USB socket you can’t connect to it.

Yes if you can get the protocol right then a BT connection might work but the phone has to be able to communicate with BT in the way you want. However, the BT capability of most phones I have seen is very limited, they won’t even allow you to connect a keyboard so grumpy sods like me can do text messaging.

Well I asked, and found out that it has NOT a usb host :’(

Bluetooth:
I just want to send INTEGER values between the smartphone and ARDUINO BT. Is this possible? Because on the arduino.cc webpage it says that it can connect to mobile phones…but there is no other information on that topic on that webpage…

Could you point me to that page?

Sure, it’s http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Hardware .

Bluetooth - This version eliminates the need for cables going to the microcontroller board. It can be programmed and communicate up to 10 metres away from a computer. It can also be used from a mobile phone. details

Yes but he was asking about communicating between an Arduino and a BT phone. Not between a desktop and Arduino using BT. The two are very different.

You read too quickly. The second part of the quote says(bold text):
Bluetooth - This version eliminates the need for cables going to the microcontroller board. It can be programmed and communicate up to 10 metres away from a computer. It can also be used from a mobile phone. details

For bluetooth comms, look for the bluetooth serial port protocol (SPP) on your mobile phone.

If it is supported you will (probably) be able to establish a connection with an Arduino BT and send data.

The trouble with this kind of development is that there are unknowns at both ends, the phone and the Arduino. You might want to buy an inexpensive bluetooth GPS module which uses SPP and learn how to establish a connection from your phone to that, then move onto doing it with an Arduino.

Regards,

Mike

This phone has a 2.5mm serial communication jack on it.

Motorola C168i AT&T GoPhone prepaid mobile phone