Connecting Arduino MKR GSM 1400 with Adafruit Ultimate GPS

Hi guys,

So I’m starting a new project here where I need to use a MKR GSM 1400 board and connect it to a GPS module from adafruit. I am having a little bit of trouble connecting both of them because the MKR GSM does not recognize SoftwareSerial library which is needed for the GPS module.

However, the SoftwareSerial library can be recognize when I use Arduino/Genuino Uno board. Does anyone have any tips for me where I can use the SoftwareSerial library so that the GPS module can work with MKR GSM board?

because the MKR GSM does not recognize SoftwareSerial library which is needed for the GPS module.

What rubbish. The GPS module does NOT need the SoftwareSerial library.

Post some code that explains why you think it does.

So if you are using the Arduino MKR GSM 1400 board, this type of code where I want to declare which pin will be used for the TX and RX of the Adafruit Ultimate GPS;

SoftwareSerial mySerial(8, 7);

is not working, even when I include the library:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

is also not working.

In my opinion, the board itself doesn’t recognize the library and can only be recognized by using Arduino/Genuino Uno board.

Any solution?

Any solution?

Two. Use a board that does recognize SoftwareSerial. Or, use a board that has multiple hardware serial ports, so you don’t need software serial.

As the MKR1400 uses the SAMD processor, which can be configured for multiple hardware serial inputs, maybe they did not bother to port the softwareserial across.

Details of serial port support on the getting started page;

Getting Started with the Arduino MKR GSM 1400

After much testing with the mkr 1400 gsm. I can say that SoftwareSerial does not work. You must use the hardwareSerial which are pin (13,14).

If anyone can prove me wrong (which I hope, bc im stuck trying to use SofwareSerial on this board) please go ahead with details.

The SAMD21 has 6 sercom interfaces so technically, you can have a total of six hardware serial ports. There's no need to emulate a serial port if you have six available.