Connecting arduino to 360 remote control

Hi, just wandering how I can connect the arduino to the media remote for the Xbox 360. My idea is to connect the arduino to the remote and then use a pot and button for a sleep timer.

Pot will control time until it turns xbox off and the button will start the timer.

I tried cutting the trace at either side of the button on the remote and using a transistor as a switch with the arduino but that didn't do anything.

Is it possible or am I just being stupid. Fed up falling asleep with the Xbox on after watching Sky Player.

Thanks

Jonny

I tried cutting the trace at either side of the button on the remote and using a transistor as a switch with the arduino but that didn’t do anything.

Post the circuit of what you tried.
Did you connect the arduino ground to the Xbox ground?
Sometimes you need a FET rather than a transistor to push the button.

Can't find the remote I was using, will buy another and try again.

It was the little media remote like this:

I was using the ground on the arduino, haven't done much electronics and just learn/mess about when I have free time. Will read up on FETs

Yes but please post the circuit of what you tried. We don’t need a picture of a remote we want to see how you wired it up to see if you made any mistakes.

Here's a crude attempt at circuit I had tried.

Was then setting the pin to high when I wanted the button pressed.

You need a resistor in the base 1K will do. You also need to connect the ground to the arduino.

If that dose not work then replace the transistor with a logic level FET

Thanks, its working now on an old 360 wireless controller. Will buy a new remote and make my sleep timer now.

:sleeping:

I'm implementing a similar transistor set-up on an old Nintendo. When you say connect the ground to the arduino: should the arduino ground be connected to the emitter of the transistor? Should it also be connected to the ground on the Nintendo?

Thanks,

Jordan

Yes the emitter, arduino ground and Nintendo ground should all be connected together.