Connecting Arduino Wirelessly to PC

Hey all, I have crafted a LED matrix table using an Arduino Uno and Glediator. I have to run a long USB cable to my computer to get it running. So I was wondering, is there a way to wirelessly connect it to my computer, while still being able to use glediator?

*I don't know anything about coding

Thanks.

Bluetooth? Since you are currently connected by USB, no change of code is required.

Hey,
How can I use a bluetooth module?
I need to select the USB COM port in the program
It will still appear there as it was connected by cable?

Ron27: How can I use a bluetooth module? I need to select the USB COM port in the program It will still appear there as it was connected by cable?

Won't you have disconnected the cable?

In any case the PC's bluetooth device will use a different COM port.

...R

I was asking if the bluetooth device will appear as a COM Port like when it's connected by a USB cable. Anyways, which bluetooth module do you recommend? I prefer something cheap and reliable.

Ron27: I was asking if the bluetooth device will appear as a COM Port like when it's connected by a USB cable.

I wonder if you are a bit confused.

The bluetooth module inside your PC is what appears to the PC as the COM port. And, yes, as far as a program on the PC is concerned it should be identical to a COM port over a USB cable.

The Arduino knows nothing about COM ports - it just sees a serial connection and it has no idea whether there is a PC or another Arduno at the other end.

I have not heard anyone complain about the quality of Arduino bluetooth modules. The HCO5 is commonly used but the HC06 is sufficient and is a little cheaper. However you should be aware that any Bluetooth link needs a master and a slave and the HCO6 can only act as a slave whereas the HCO5 can be either master or slave. For communication with a PC the PC will be the master.

...R

Thank you for clearing that up. So from what I understand, I will have the purchase two bluetooth modules? If so, how do I connect the HC-05 to my computer, and how do I set them to be master/slave?

Ron27: So from what I understand, I will have the purchase two bluetooth modules?

You will only need to buy two modules if your PC is not already equipped with Bluetooth - I thought most of them have it as standard. Certainly most laptops do.

And if you need to get a bluetooth module for your PC it will have to be a USB Bluetooth module which is quite different from the modules that connect to an Arduino.

...R

Oh, I do have bluetooth in my computer.
After I connect the module to Arduino and pair it with my PC, it will just appear as one of the COM Ports?

I found this diagram for wiring it up, is it correct? :

It is good practice to wire Arduino Tx through a 1k/2k voltage divider. It is not usually fatal if you don’t.

You might find the following background notes useful

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/GUIDE_2BT.pdf
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/BT_2_WAY.ino

Ron27: After I connect the module to Arduino and pair it with my PC, it will just appear as one of the COM Ports?

Yes.

...R