Connecting board to wifi minimally

Hello, I'm working on a project that I'd like to be connected to the internet wirelessly with minimum costs. I'll be using a UNO for now, but I'd like to be able to use a smaller board such as the Nano, Mini or Micro.

What I want to be able to do is be able have a button that I can carry around anywhere (battery powered which is not an issue) and when I press the button it would send a request to my server wirelessly (as long as its connected to Wifi).

I'd like to be able to connect to the internet easily, possibly using WPS push button method to quickly connect the board to the Wifi or be able to manually enter credentials by plugging another device into that one to set wifi credentials on the fly (eg having another board that will let me change the config files on the board without any hassle).

The problem that I'm having is that I can't find any way to connect a board to the internet cheaply and reliably.

Anybody have any suggestions/solutions? Thanks.

Erick_M: The problem that I'm having is that I can't find any way to connect a board to the internet cheaply and reliably.

I thought, from your comment on this other Thread, that you favoured an RPi as the solution ?

There appears to be a Yun competitor emerging - see this Thread.

...R

Robin2: I thought, from your comment on this other Thread, that you favoured an RPi as the solution ?

There appears to be a Yun competitor emerging - see this Thread.

...R

I meant that specifically for your project. For my project I'd like it to be as cheap as possible, under £10 to create which would be impossible if I was using a RPI.

I found a way of doing using an ESP8266 and UNO for the time being and will buy a Pro Mini if the ESP8266 is compatible with the Mini. This is still not cheaper than £10 but if the Mini works, it will be around £15, which is good enough for what I want to do.

ESP8266 is cheapest nowadays, it will work fine with pro mini or just about any other Arduino.

I calculate $6 for Pro Mini + ESP8266... (dollars, not pounds). $2.58 shipped for Pro Mini clone, $3.50 shipped for ESP8266, both from first page of hits on ebay for "arduino pro mini" and "esp8266".

(also, as an aside, since your goal is so simple, I suspect that you could program the ESP8266 itself to do everything - there are a number of sites and forums with a lot more information on that).

Interesting device - is it really WiFi, or just 2.4GHz wireless ? Even for Bluetooth it would be very cheap ?

I don't see a link to a datasheet. I found this Instructables - It does seem to be proper WiFi - I think I may get myself one of these to play with.

...R

Robin2: Interesting device - is it really WiFi, or just 2.4GHz wireless ? Even for Bluetooth it would be very cheap ?

I don't see a link to a datasheet. I found this Instructables - It does seem to be proper WiFi - I think I may get myself one of these to play with.

...R

Yes it is Wifi. There are plenty of tutorials out there for the ESP8266.