Connecting motor to Arduino

Ok, so can the arduino power the motor in the picture? Will it burn something up, or do I need an outside power source? I have no idea how to do this and we have an assignment for this in our concepts of engineering class. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if any one knows the specs on this motor that would be great.

Thanks in advance, Kyle

You need a 'motor driver', that is a circuit board with components that can supply the power to drive a motor. And you need an external power supply for the motors. I don't see a picture of the motor.

KyletheNewbie: Ok, so can the arduino power the motor in the picture?

What picture? In any case, a link to the datasheet for the motor would be much more useful.

An Arduino cannot directly power a motor.

As I don't know what sort of motor it is or what you want the motor do to I can't give any more advice.

...R

Hi, Kyle can you go and read your first post please. Then tell us what you are talking about. If it is a class subject, then you should have been taught how to get specifications for motors. (Google!!!!) Ask your tutor or lecturer, show him or her that you are doing some work by asking questions. Also have you been taught how to program an Arduino. Check out the LEARNING tab at the top of this page. And NO it is not recommended to supply power for a motor from the arduino. You should have by now been taught about power supplies, semiconductors and ohms law.

Tom.Hope to help..... :)

TomGeorge: Hi, Kyle can you go and read your first post please.

Tom.Hope to help..... :)

Hi Tom, can you see a picture in the OP's first post ? - there is no picture in my Browser (Firefox on Ubuntu).

...R

Hi, I can't see a pic either, Chrome / Win7

Tom... :)

Robin2:

KyletheNewbie: Ok, so can the arduino power the motor in the picture?

What picture?

I believe the forum prevents posting pictures etc on the first posting of a new user as an anti-spam measure, you have to go back and edit the posting or reply. Well assuming things haven't changed in the recent site-revamp.

Completely off-topic, but I can't stop myself commenting:

Octal is 7 bits. Octet is 8 bits. An Octopus has four pairs of arms. October is the tenth month. An Octillion can be 10^27 or 10^48. An Octave is the interval between notes of half or twice the frequency. And last but not least: Octyl on its own is not really something.

Octal is base-8 (actually its 3 bits, not 7) octet is 8 bits octopus has 8 tentacles (not legs/arms) October is the 8th month in the old roman calendar Octillion is 1000 * 1000^8 or 1000000^8 (note the old British usage is completely obsolete now despite being more consistent) Octave is the difference between first and eighth notes (an eighth). Its 12 semitones(!)

Note that the SI prefixes yotta and yocto are plays on "oct", meaning 1000^8 and 1000^-8 respectively. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yocto-

I believe the forum prevents posting pictures etc on the first posting of a new user as an anti-spam measure,

No that was never a function of the forum and it still isn't.

you have to go back and edit the posting

Have you spotted that once you leave a page then on your return you can no longer edit a post? This is new and could possibly change again tomorrow.