Connecting Multiple Servos to Single Battery Pack

Hi,

I wish to connect 17 Servos to a single NiMH Battery Pack. I would like to avoid soldering the wires together. Are there any types of connectors which I could use to connect all the Servos to the Battery? The Servos have a Standard Connector.

Thank you.

Joseph

Is your aversion to soldering, or to such a permanent connection?

It will really be difficult to avoid soldering if you intend to progress to any extent with electronics.

To make a common “bus” you can solder pin headers to “stripboard”. But you presumably want to connect the control lines of the servos separately so perhaps a “protoboard” like this:

Or do you? If you do want to connect them all to the same source then you only need three rows of common stripboard!

Thank you for your reply and for the suggested solutions. I do not mind soldering myself. Meanwhile, I am trying to keep my project (which is made for educational purposes) as simple as possible so that others who do not wish to solder, can still follow the building instructions. Also, as you mentioned, by not soldering the components, one can easily re-use them.

Regards,

Joseph

re there any types of connectors which I could use to connect all the Servos to the Battery?

I've made servo connectors by covering the servo connector with thin food wrap, sticking solid bare ended hookup wire in the servo connector holes, then using a little hot glue to bond the hookup wires together. I could then plug/unplug the hookup wires in the servo connector.

zoomkat:
I've made servo connectors by covering the servo connector with thin food wrap, sticking solid bare ended hookup wire in the servo connector holes, then using a little hot glue to bond the hookup wires together. I could then plug/unplug the hookup wires in the servo connector.

If you click on the picture I gave, you will note that the pin headers can be purchased as three for US$1 of the 40-pin headers including postage.

I suspect he can afford that. More convenient, possibly more reliable and durable. :wink:

You may find your battery pack is inadequate for 17 servos - the peak current demand is likely
to be 10 to 20A.

JosephProject:
The Servos have a Standard Connector.

...unless we are talking about older Airtronics servos vs Futaba:

Don't get those mixed up unless you want to blow the servo or something else...

:wink: