Connecting Temperature Sensor to Arduino

Hi,
I recently purchased this body temperature sensor https://www.cooking-hacks.com/body-temperature-sensor-ehealth-medical with the view of connecting it to my Arduino to send temperature data to my computer. However, I was only told after I received it that I would have to purchase an e-Shield platform. As that is not within my budget, I'm wondering if anyone knows how I could connect it to an Arduino Uno, or if that's even possible at all? Low quality picture of the connecter part below. Thanks in advance

Not much information on the site. Looks like a simple two lead connection, but unless it is sending out a simple analog output, you may need to get information on how to make the signal work with the Arduino.

The eHealth equipment is incredibly expensive, for an alternative that is supposed to be an open source, inexpensive option.

The vastly overpriced temperature sensor is a simple 820 Ohm thermistor, judging from the schematics for the eHealth shield, downloadable here. See attached for just the sensor amplifier, which is configured with gain=5.

The eHealth shield library shows how the sensor input is processed, downloadable here.

Code for sensor:

float eHealthClass::getTemperature(void)
	{	
		//Local variables
		float Temperature; //Corporal Temperature 
		float Resistance;  //Resistance of sensor.
		float ganancia=5.0;
		float Vcc=3.3;
		float RefTension=3.0; // Voltage Reference of Wheatstone bridge.
		float Ra=4700.0; //Wheatstone bridge resistance.
		float Rc=4700.0; //Wheatstone bridge resistance.
		float Rb=821.0; //Wheatstone bridge resistance.
		int sensorValue = analogRead(A3);

float voltage2=((float)sensorValue*Vcc)/1023; // binary to voltage conversion  

// Wheatstone bridge output voltage.
		voltage2=voltage2/ganancia;
		// Resistance sensor calculate  
		float aux=(voltage2/RefTension)+Rb/(Rb+Ra);
		Resistance=Rc*aux/(1-aux);    
		if (Resistance >=1822.8) {
			// if temperature between 25ºC and 29.9ºC. R(tª)=6638.20457*(0.95768)^t
			Temperature=log(Resistance/6638.20457)/log(0.95768);  
		} else {
			if (Resistance >=1477.1){
					// if temperature between 30ºC and 34.9ºC. R(tª)=6403.49306*(0.95883)^t
					Temperature=log(Resistance/6403.49306)/log(0.95883);  
			} else {
				if (Resistance >=1204.8){
					// if temperature between 35ºC and 39.9ºC. R(tª)=6118.01620*(0.96008)^t
					Temperature=log(Resistance/6118.01620)/log(0.96008); 
				}
				else{
					if (Resistance >=988.1){
						// if temperature between 40ºC and 44.9ºC. R(tª)=5859.06368*(0.96112)^t
						Temperature=log(Resistance/5859.06368)/log(0.96112); 
					}
					else {
						if (Resistance >=811.7){
							// if temperature between 45ºC and 50ºC. R(tª)=5575.94572*(0.96218)^t
							Temperature=log(Resistance/5575.94572)/log(0.96218); 
						}
					}
				}
			}  
		}

return Temperature;
	}

You could use a 1K resistor to make a voltage divider with your sensor and read it directly with AnalogRead(). More here but the program constants most likely won't be correct.

I would use a watertight DS18B20, could be used on the skin or even in the mouth.

It has at 12 bit it has step size of 1/16 °C, quite accurate.

The temperature range is from -55C (frozen) to 125 C (fried)

Not sure where you live, but is it is the US, there is a lot of extra requirements for electronic "patient connected" devices. If this is for home use then there is no problem. If you trying to work up something to sell, then there are further requirements.

robtillaart:
I would use a watertight DS18B20, could be used on the skin or even in the mouth.

Wide range is not really neccessary, human body have an average temperature of 37°C.

-Standby:
Wide range is not really neccessary, human body have an average temperature of 37°C.

but it can vary between 25-42 °C

Did you ever hear of Wim Hof "the Ice man" ?

robtillaart:

I really like the look of this! So this can be connected directly to the Arduino with the need for any more equipment? And can send data to a computer?

The accuracy of the DS18B20 is specified as +/- 0.5 C.

Is that good enough for your purposes? If not, it can be calibrated against an accurate reference thermometer.

jremington:
The accuracy of the DS18B20 is specified as +/- 0.5 C.

Is that good enough for your purposes? If not, it can be calibrated against an accurate reference thermometer.

Yes, that accuracy is fine- it's for a school project so no huge amount of accuracy is needed. I can connect the DS18B20 directly to the arduino and the data will be sent to the Arduino code terminal?

you need some software code for that e.g. MilesBurton.com

but there are other examples too.

robtillaart:
you need some software code for that e.g. MilesBurton.com

but there are other examples too.

So it can be connected directly to the arduino and just that software code used in order to use it? And then I can use the arduino terminal to set the temperature as a variable etc?

{Sorry for the questions, I just want to be 100% that I know what I'm doing before I order it}
Many thanks.

yes