Connecting two Arduinos together?

Ihave an art project I am doing, and I basically have one board that has an audio-shield on it so it can play .wav soundeffects (and run a few analoge meters, test some switches are on or off etc.)
I have another board that has a keypad and a LCD display.
I would like the LCD/keypad board to be able to tell the waveshield board to play different soundeffects. (say around 10 different ones depending on what happens on the keypad)

Can anyone suggest a simple way to do this.. There are limited pins available on both boards....

ps. newbie here so keep it simple (but I learn fast!)

Marty

You could use I2C to connect the two boards (assuming both are arduino compatibles, which I'm sure they are). Then you only need two pins per board. There's lots of info out there on I2C, especially in the data sheet. IIRC the playground has some good info.

EDIT duh, your post is titled "connecting two arduinos together". time for me to go to bed, lol.

I agree with Quijonsith - I2C would be a good way to to connect the 2 Arduinos together.

If you open the Arduino IDE and go to Open / Examples / Library - Wire / "master_writer" and "slave_receiver" you will see some basic I2C examples.

The Playground also has a good I2C / TWI (Two Wire Interface) tutorial.

Good luck with your project.

Yeah, i2c is a good choice... if you really want them "together"... i2c is intended, as its name says, Inter-Integrated Circuit communication... not intended for long busses (or long wires)... if you want to put them away, you must use some sort of serial arrangement, rs-232 or rs-485, according to the desired distance.

Yeah, i2c is a good choice... if you really want them "together"... i2c is intended, as its name says, Inter-Integrated Circuit communication... not intended for long busses (or long wires)... if you want to put them away, you must use some sort of serial arrangement, rs-232 or rs-485, according to the desired distance.

It depends on the distance, I've got 2 168's connected on a 6 meter cable without using a P82B715 that can extend it a further 50 meters.

Here's a small thread on connecting 2 arduino's over i2c.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1205243372/0

For longer distances add more wire, or even more wire "plus" a bus extender.

For selecting 10 between different sound effects the most you'd need to transfer is 1 byte, so 100khz over a longer distance would be perfectly adequate.