Connector Types and Sources

I'm producing my first arduino based project with just a few copies (10 units maybe). It looks like using my existing stripboard is easier than having PCBs run this time. But, I've been looking at various connector styles for external components (power feed, switches, 16x2 screen) and it seems harder to get connector items with 2.54mm pitch that are still priced reasonably. All of the standard PCB connectors are much cheaper. I thought moving the connectors off the the board could accommodate, but it still seems to be pretty challenging to figure out exactly which connectors, and how to buy them. I was thinking of getting something like this (http://www.jst.com/home21.html) ACH style wire-to-wire connectors for 2 and 3 wire connections.

Any suggestions on connectors to use, and a good source for them? I've been looking at mouser, digikey, sparkfun, newark. They all seem pretty good, but it's hard to match components with each other. And their wire-to-wire options seem somewhat limited. I would go with a board option if they were cheaper (2.54mm crimp ends look pricey) and easier to get.

Thanks a lot.

Browse here
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=474
lot of common connector types, but not so many as to be overwhelming.

I'm producing my first arduino based project with just a few copies (10 units maybe). It looks like using my existing stripboard is easier than having PCBs run this time.

Ha ha, that's a good one! You can get 10 copies of 50mm x 50mm, 50mm x 100mm, or 100mm x 100mm PCBs for $9.90, $14.90, and $19.90 from iteadstudio

Why would you build up 10 by hand unless they were reaaaaally simple boards?
The time savings alone makes it worthwhile to learn Eagle, create Gerbers, and move up to real boards with silk screen and stenciling that look professional.
Example:

I stand corrected, looks like PCB is much more attractive. :slight_smile: I hadn’t dug into it too much, other than seeing OSHPark, but you’re right that’s much better.

Do you have them printed and then assemble yourself?

In my case they’re really simple so I probably will, but was curious how much more it goes with assembly involved.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Most used and cheaply available board to wire connectors are KK series from Molex and XH series from JST. Everywhere you can buy this connectors, shells, pins.

Rudolf

Yes, I buy bare boards and then assemble ourselves.
more examples here
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/
If there will be large quantity and many SMD parts, I will send out for assembly.
Thru hole and/or just a couple of SMD parts we will do ourselves.
The hardest part is learning to navigate the eagle libraries. If you download the sparkfun and adafruit libraries, then a lot of the common parts will be found in just 2 libraries.

I use Phoenix for screw terminals (con-phoenix-xxx in 3.5mm and 5.08mm sizes) and con-lstb for headers in 1x3, 1x4, 2x3, etc sizes when Sparkfun M0x sizes are not what I want or for pad shape reasons.