Considering mechanical clock project

Hello all!

I have a '70s vintage mechanical grandfather kit clock with a Westminster chime movement (Jauch 77). The movement needs help, but I am thinking about how cool it would be to convert it to be run by an Arduino to, not only drive the hands, but also the chime and strike functions.

What do you all think? Has anyone done something like this before? I have electronics experience, but have never used an Arduino. Too big a project?

Thanks for your feedback.

Recently I sent a clock, with 2 chimes, beats every half hour, to the clock maker for a total lubrication. Studying during 50 years I know that clock.
Do You have any idea hove to interface the Arduino to the clock mechanics?
During 60 years I’ve taken apart numerous of old Clockworks and learned how they work.
My best advice is to restore Your grandfathers clock and make a replica, controlled by an Arduino.

Thank you, Railroader.

I have been repairing mechanical clocks for a few years now, and thought this would be an interesting challenge instead of the usual.

Ok. Then You have knowledge about the inside of the clock work. Do as You feel.

Too big a project?

Nah! Easy from and electronics and programming point of view. I don’t have a clue about the mechanical side, but it seems you’ve got that covered.

PerryBebbington:
Nah! Easy from and electronics and programming point of view. I don't have a clue about the mechanical side, but it seems you've got that covered.

:slight_smile: