Contact Cleaner for old Amplifier Pots.

The local Radio Shack has some seriously expensive prices on there contact cleaner. I see some other retail chains are cheaper but I wonder if they are suitable. What do people trust and where do they buy contact cleaner?

You can pay a lot for a little at Radio Shack, other stuff is likely to be the same.
Contact cleaner will not always work magic however, at worst it does nothing and at best it smeares the grease all over the track. If you can dismantle the back of your pot them you might be able to clean it up with a Q tip and some solvent.

If you are in the US you can get CRC Electronic Cleaner, 11 Oz. (~$5) at Walmart or CRC 11 Oz QD Contact Cleaner (~$24) at electronic suppliers.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16817418?www=true&productRedirect=true

It's called "lighter fluid" - used in (older) cigarette lighters. Essentially petrol without the additives.

The local Radio Shack has some seriously expensive prices on there contact cleaner.

It doesn't take much, so the cost-per-use is reasonable. Although if you only use it once, I guess that doesn't help. :smiley:

How much is it worth to you to fix the volume control noise? If it's not that annoying to you, I suppose the cost is an issue, but if it's really annoying, is it worth $10 or $20, or more, to fix it???

I see some other retail chains are cheaper but I wonder if they are suitable.

I've used Radio Shack "Tuner & Control" cleaner in the past, and now I have a couple of different brands that I got from Fry's Electronics. ...I have two cans now, because I forgot I already had some and I bought more.

It usually works. With the power off, spray it into the pot (through whatever holes you see) and rotate the pot back-and-forth rapidly several times.

It's called "lighter fluid"

I've never heard of that. I've tried alcohol but it doesn't work as well as the real stuff. The pressurized spray with the extension nozzle and the bubbling/foaming action also gets into the control better.