Contest with prize(s)

I don’t know how interesting (or not) this sounds, but I thought I would give it a try anyway: a contest for the “best” open-source plans for an enclosure. I’ve been struggling, with limited results, to design a case for one of my projects, the BookClock. This project uses the ubiquitous 8x32 LED display from Sure Electronics, so the appeal and benefits should be quite large. Ideally, this enclosure should be a book-sized wooden box, with the laser-cut sides, easy to assemble with minimal effort. But any other idea is welcome.

The “rules” and details of the contest can be found here:

The prize is a DWex watch.

Do you know that “bookbinding” is a somewhat active craft/hobby?

It would be cool if there were always contests like this on this site. Maybe one a month, and some of the long-time well respected members would vote for a winner. Some wealthy benefactor or company could put up a prize each month, like 10 servos, or 4 arduinos.

If I enter in this contest do I get the custom? (He knows what I mean). :smiley:

I will have a think and see what I can come up with. A laser etched case could look pretty cool…

I’m all up for competitions. If I ever get myself sorted out properly I might even run one :wink:

Some wealthy benefactor or company could put up a prize each month, like 10 servos, or 4 arduinos.

It’s nice to have products from all different people/companies turning up.

Mowcius

The categories could be vague to encourage more creativity, like “best breakfast machine” or “best child’s toy”, “best car application” etc.

Hai
Florinc

I didn’t have idea…

Why didn’t modified this

Using wood plate,block wood and acrylic…

The side is wood place…and wood plate at the side of “thinckness book”.
Also could make as drawer behind the book for maintance the arduino… ::slight_smile:

Regards
Jeckson

Mowcius,
I did not expect you would not participate :slight_smile:

Jeckson,
The idea is to be able to manufacture the box easily, cheaply and on a large scale, so it can be provided within a kit, eventually. (BroHogan put a lot of skill and effort into that box.)

Mowcius,
I did not expect you would not participate

:o

;D

The idea is to be able to manufacture the box easily, cheaply and on a large scale, so it can be provided within a kit, eventually. (BroHogan put a lot of skill and effort into that box.)

I didn’t expected that Florinc for large scale…

The plastic case is the only option.

Regards
Jeckson

I didn’t expected that Florinc for large scale…

Well depends what you class as large scale.

You could make something similar-ish looking to that in an easy, cheap way…

The plastic case is the only option.

Nahh, you can laser cut many many things.

Mowcius

I’d be happy to donate a MegaMini (jkdevices.com/arduino-megamini) to the prize pool if you want.

I think this is a good idea if people are willing to donate prizes (which they seem to be).
I could probably donate a bit to a prize pool, lets try and think of how to organise it…

Mowcius

If I had any money I would have done this already. One guy puts up a page in the exhibition section for the contest. The contestants make their own exhibition page tutorials (this is the point of the contest) and can provide a link to it in the contest page.
After a month the god members can pm the OP with their top three choices. Then the OP will get the winner’s address and contact the vendors, or just send his own prize.
The only rule would be that it has to be something new, not already posted in the exhibition.

Why restrict it to the god members?..
Bad idea, if you ask me, let it be open to everybody… just create a poll.

Why restrict it to the god members?..
Bad idea, if you ask me, let it be open to everybody… just create a poll.

I have to agree, we’re not any better than some electronic wizard who has just joined the forum…

Mowcius

Nahh, you can laser cut many many things.

Consider the price when dealing with laser cut.
Patron/mould clay for plastic will reduce cost of “Book Watch” production

Jeckson

Not too expensive when it is not just a single thing being cut and especially when I cut stuff :wink:

In case you were wondering what the result was:

That is a nice design. I like the inset matrix.

Might I suggest sanding all of the visible edges. It takes quite a long time but makes blends them in a lot better so they aren’t a harsh black.

Mowcius

I like the black edges, looks kinda cool :wink: