Continuously poll USB-peripheral serially with Arduino Uno+USB Host Shield

Hello,

I have a USB-peripheral that communicates using a serial protocol (CDC) and I would like to be able to continually poll this device and extract information from it using my Arduino Uno+SparkFun USB host shield.

Since the peripheral is not at USB-HID device, I am not sure which library to start with.

The Circuits@Home USB Host Shield 2.0 library has an acm_terminal and cdc_XR21B1411 example, but I’m not sure if that’s what I am looking for.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

blah2222:
I have a USB-peripheral that

A link to the datasheet for this mysterious device would be a good start.

Don't assume that a USB host shield can interact with every USB device in the way that a PC can.

...R

I would try the acm_terminal example assuming the device is really a CDC ACM device.

Robin2:
A link to the datasheet for this mysterious device would be a good start.

Don't assume that a USB host shield can interact with every USB device in the way that a PC can.

...R

Sorry, here it is:

My version of this peripheral only has USB connectivity for I/O.

blah2222:
My version of this peripheral only has USB connectivity for I/O.

It looks to me like it needs a special driver for the PC and that is unlikely to be available for a USB Host shield.

The other interface looks like it would make Arduino control easy.

...R

Robin2:
It looks to me like it needs a special driver for the PC and that is unlikely to be available for a USB Host shield.

The other interface looks like it would make Arduino control easy.

...R

Thanks for the reply. It seems that you are right.

As a workaround, I'm wondering if I could connect the peripheral and my Arduino to my PC and have a Python script poll the device and then output commands to the Arduino or any old MCU.

Kind of clunky, but I guess it'll have to work...

I would plug it into a Linux box and see if it works. CDC ACM devices appear as /dev/ttyACMx where x starts at 0 and goes up by 1 for each device. minicom or picocom are terminal programs.

gdsports:
I would plug it into a Linux box and see if it works. CDC ACM devices appear as /dev/ttyACMx where x starts at 0 and goes up by 1 for each device. minicom or picocom are terminal programs.

Thank you, I will try that. Might see if a Raspberry Pi can do this job.