Control 24v Parts?

Hello,

I am new to Arduino and electrical parts. I have an UNO R3 board. I have a project I am trying to build (still in design phase), but have hit a couple snags and could use some help working them out.

I need to control three 24v solenoids that are NC, and will open upon receiving power. I figured the best way to control them would be using the Arduino with 24V relays and an external 24v power supply. However, when looking at solenoids most of the signal coils require 16+ volts to activate. Can the output of the Arduino be boosted to use these? Is there a better way, or should I shelf these solenoids and buy different ones?

My next problem is controlling two worm geared motors, again 24v. I need to be able to control these in both directions and have been reading about using H-Bridges to reverse polarity. My question is, will this work with 24v? Will I need any other parts to control these motors? I also read mention of using a heat sink.. but these motors will only power on for a few sec at a time, hours apart.

What would be the best way to control these with an UNO board, or should I look into another controller?

thunter7891:
What would be the best way to control these with an UNO board, or should I look into another controller?

The UNO can do it, it just needs some intermediary circuitry to handle voltages over 5VDC. It's busy but this drawing shows what can be done.

You can use a relay driver board or You can use a proto board and add 3 logical MOSFETs that will switch Your 24 volt solenoids. Remember the free wheel diodes for the solenoids.

... and the most common driver option for bidirectional DC motors is an h-bridge.

No need for H bridge handling solenoids. Use MOSFETs and do some soldering or buy a relay driver shield.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have tried to research more on my own (I love to figure things out), but this can get a bit overwhelming seeing as I want to complete this project on a time crunch and have little knowledge of this stuff. Just feel bad asking for answers instead of figuring it out on my own. This is not a school project or for work though, just a personal project.

I want to provide a link to make sure this is clear. (I hope that's ok) If I were to use this relay expansion board: https://www.amazon.com/FTCBlock-Channel-Indicator-Optical-Coupler/dp/B079P1QHSB/ref=asc_df_B079DRCPBF/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726542270059&th=1

Would these relays activate my 24v solenoids? Would I need additional parts to make it work?

I'm unclear how the relays output can be 30v DC, while the Arduino only outputs 5v?

The relay is operated by a coil that makes heavy contacts switch. Those "Heavy Contacts" close the circuit of the 24 Volt power supply and the load.
The tiny 5 volt Arduino signal passes and opto coupler that turns on the current to the coil. That is handled inside the relay board.

Look at the board as an amplifier.

@RR, The relay driver shield seems like a lumpy way to drive bidirectional motors. The h-bridge is a much more elegant solution unless you have some secret sauce?

@lastchancename
I read a need to control 3 solenoids, not any motors, in the initial question of OP.
Where do You see motors?

...next problem is controlling two worm geared motors, again 24v. I need to be able to control these in both directions ...

Sorry, I missed it.

Ok, it is a 2 step question. I focused on the first part. Sorry.

Hehe, no problem... I just woke up!

I ought to go to bed.....

Thank you Railroader and others for taking time to reply. I really appreciate it!

I plan to buy the Solenoid Driver board to control the 24v solenoids.

I found some 5v motors that can put out enough torque to move what I'm wanting to control, so I plan to just get an H-bridge to control direction.

You guys are awesome!