Control 24vdc servos

Would a transistor be "fast" enough to operate 24vdc servomotor using servolibrary on arduino?

As far as specs I know 24vdc, 100 Hz and 250-500 mA.

Or would this be a suicide for arduino?

A datasheet for that servomotor is really needed. Your specs don't have enough information.

If the servo just uses 24V power but works with a standard 5V input signal you shouldn't even need a transistor. The control circuit is normally already inside the servo.

Steve

Apparently the logic is 24VDC on the servos. They actually are proportional hydraulic valves and well it seems that transistors work on nanoseconds vs milliseconds used by pwm. Even optocouplers are fast enough to work.
So this is rather silly question.

Servovalves usually take a current signal like +/- 100mA. Post a link to that valve.
HowToPost

Just spoke with a guy who has worked with these valves a lot and he said it’s a solenoidvalve, that has operational current of 200-800 mA and has own coil for each direction, so I need to build a current control system for Arduino to be able to use them.

tuomasjar:
Just spoke with a guy who has worked with these valves a lot and he said it's a solenoidvalve, that has operational current of 200-800 mA and has own coil for each direction, so I need to build a current control system for Arduino to be able to use them.

Now, go back to the same guy and ask if the valve is "full on" each direction, or "proportional" each direction. And ask how fast the valve can be changed. You are dealing with a non-compressible fluid and it's motion cannot be instantaneously stopped.

Paul

Proportional to each direction. I don’t really need precise control over it. Just that it moves when I want it to move with a little bit speed control, but everytjhing is done by hand and eye only.

So most likely it will need control from “the other side” to close? As in stop moving?

The Valves can be manually operated as well if necessary.

Here’s a picture of valves I found

Pakka.jpg

Hi,
OPs pic;
96fb869102ddf3755b9fb9caeecb210d8fdc8a73.jpg
Sorry it means nothing, we need a make and model and a link to specs/data.
That is the only way we can help you control it.

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

I graduated as an engineer in embedded systems ten years a go. I didn’t get a job in the field and did other work. We used atmega32 at engineering school to do projects and learn programming.

Now I am brushing up my old skills and with an old friend we would like to make our own hydraulic robot using the hydraulic pack from a brokk 180.

Been scouring the internet for info and I know the way is using the PWM amplified by a transistor (or optocoupler even).

An acquitance that used to fix brokks, said that it uses squarewave at 100 Hz and approximately 15 volts DC.