Control 3 stepper motors and trigger camera with arduino?

Hello!

I want to control 3 Nema stepper motors for x steps and then trigger a camera (2.5mm male cord). I’m pretty sure this is easy to do with Arduino but I have no experience with it and not sure what to buy. I know basic programming and that part seems kinda easy but I dislike soldering and want most of the parts to be plug-n-play.

What do I need?
3x Nema 17 (or 23) stepper motor
Genuino Uno or Mega?
Adafruit Motor / Stepper / Servo Shield - v2.3? - Do I need 1 or 2 of these? The adafruit link says something about multiple shields not working with due wire, what is that?
Some kind of power source? Any special genuino parts for that?
I have a 2.5mm male cable, do I need a shield for the camera trigger function?
Something more?

/Larso

I'm pretty sure this is easy to do with Arduino

It is.

What do I need?

An Arduino, some stepper motors, some stepper motor drivers, a camera, and some code.

Adafruit Motor / Stepper / Servo Shield - v2.3? - Do I need 1 or 2 of these?

None. Get real stepper motor drivers, like https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12779

The adafruit link says something about multiple shields not working with due wire, what is that?

Probably your misunderstanding of something on the mysterious site.

Some kind of power source?

That would be a good idea.

Any special genuino parts for that?

No.

I have a 2.5mm male cable

For what?

do I need a shield for the camera trigger function?

No.

Something more?

Some clue as to which camera, how to trigger it, some idea what the steppers are supposed to do, ...

3axis timelpase rig?

Anyway. You want some drivers. I use Pololu a4988 Stepper Drivers to power some NEMA 17s. These drivers are good up to 2A I think…“additional cooling” is some 1cm heatsinks and a small 5V fan. I do not run them at 2A mind, as they do not need the torque.

Any arduino would be more than fine for this. The A4988 drivers have 3 pins…One for “take a step” and one for “direction”. They do have the ability to do 1/16th steps if you need more resolution!

3 motors x 3 pins = 9 pins minimum. (PS. Extra pin to make all motors “1/16th step”.) otherwise 6 pins is all is needed.

One needed for the trigger to camera.

Look up “optoisolators”. This will protect your DSLR from getting 5V fed int o it when you do not want to fry it!

You may find some useful stuff in Stepper Motor Basics and in this Simple Stepper Code

Note that the EasyDriver that @PaulS linked to is only good for a max of 0.75 amps.

...R

Not to Bogart this thread, but I've very new to Arduino and once I learn a bit one of my end game goals is a motion control rig with pan/tilt on a slider or track (so 3 axis, but maybe not the typical 3).

My use would not be time lapse, but slow, low frame rate, long exposure (ie the camera will take a frame while the rig is moving so that we get proper motion blur) but I am wondering how "smooth" hobby steppers usually are? Also wondering how big they need to be for a typical dSLR with a half decent piece of glass on it.

sunsanvil: Not to Bogart this thread,

Then start your own Thread

...R

sunsanvil: Not to Bogart this thread, but I've very new to Arduino and once I learn a bit one of my end game goals is a motion control rig with pan/tilt on a slider or track (so 3 axis, but maybe not the typical 3).

My use would not be time lapse, but slow, low frame rate, long exposure (ie the camera will take a frame while the rig is moving so that we get proper motion blur) but I am wondering how "smooth" hobby steppers usually are? Also wondering how big they need to be for a typical dSLR with a half decent piece of glass on it.

Start your own thread.

As a photographer myself, there is a big difference between SUBJECT BLUR and MOTION BLUR. Start there and decide if you think what you want is actually a good idea.

We usually try remove effects caused by the camera as an entity when making pictures...

@ Robin2 & Johnny010. On most forums one tends to get chastised for starting a new thread if the question or subject is even close to an ongoing one so do please forgive. Thanks for the warm welcome though.

sunsanvil: Thanks for the warm welcome though.

Thanks for the sarcasm.

You, yourself, first pointed out that what you were doing was inappropriate.

...R