control 8x8 LED matrix other than MAX7219

I am rather upset with myself.

I recently purchased ten (10) 8x8 red LED matrix. Wiring just one of them to be controlled by an Arduino using MAX7219 has been a pain.

Is there an easier way with different ICs?

I wish I had bought the modules where the 8x8 LED matrix is already mounted on a PCB with a MAX7219 and the three control lines brought out. ARGH.

Yes there are but I would think the wiring is no less of a pain as you need to get from the control ICs control to the matrix itself. This is the same number of wires, plus the control software is generally more complex.

I'm not saying it would necessarily be easy but you could buy a MAX7219 and solder it up yourself with each MAX7219 controlling 2 x 7-segment LEDs.

Or just bite the bullet, buy the right kit and sell the others on eBay and put it down to experience.

We've all bought the wrong stuff on occasion - AND had to wait four weeks for it to be delivered from China to find that out!

Yeah, I can't find any seller that just has the MAX7219 soldered to a pcb without the 8x8 LED matrix.

THIS is what I should have bought. I think it was someone here who posted about them.

ieee488: Yeah, I can't find any seller that just has the MAX7219 soldered to a pcb without the 8x8 LED matrix.

Well, why would they? :roll_eyes:

ieee488: THIS is what I should have bought.

Absolutely. Quite likely me. :grinning: And cheap enough not to fuss. Those are the stacking modules.

Someone here posted a query about a display they found which had 32 (actually 30 used) columns driven by a particular IC, but whether you could find one is a question as well as the fact that you then needed really heavy duty row drivers separately, you even had to do the multiplex yourself and you had to provide the column resistors.

I think you are onto a good thing with the MAX7219s.

Paul__B: Absolutely. Quite likely me. :grinning: And cheap enough not to fuss. Those are the stacking modules.

Do you have these? Would I be able to put these modules side by side on a printed circuit board?

How are you attempting to wire them? I mounted 4 displays and 4 MAX7219 on a large piece of perfboard using wirewrap sockets, then wirewrapped all the connections. If you are attempting point to point solder, yes that would be a pain.
8x32shield.jpg
back.jpg
4xMAX7219.png

CrossRoads: How are you attempting to wire them? ...

If you are attempting point to point solder, yes that would be a pain.

Yes, unfortunately. :slightly_frowning_face:

ieee488: Do you have these? Would I be able to put these modules side by side on a printed circuit board?

I have bought some and they stack just fine. You do not need a PCB; they have four corner mounting holes which you can mount to a board with screws (preferably nylon) and spacers. They have five pins to be mounted on each side, you want to solder the pins to the rear of the board and you use five pin jumpers to connect corresponding pins of adjacent boards - they are actually fairly rigidly joined in this manner, sufficient for prototyping but you would of course want to mount them securely in the final design.