control a digital frame with Arduino

i'm trying to control a digital frame with my Arduino UNO.
The digital frame is a Kodak EasyShare SV-811 and when it is connected to computer, enters in an "upload modality" during which i can upload photos and videos. My goal is to make appear this modality also when is connected to arduino, who should be able to upload the photos contained in the SD card and delete the photos contained on the digital frame internal memory. But if i connect the +5v and the GND of the USB cable to arduino, the arduinio ceases to be operative (as happens when the +5V and the GND of the Arduino board are directly connected together). My main purpose is to connect the arduino to alexa and request to alexa the photos that i want to be showed on the frame (example: "alexa show me dinosaurs' photos" and arduino uploads a file called "dinosaur" and deletes the file already displayed on the frame). Is this feasible with arduino or i need a microprocessor like a raspberry?

Welcome to the forum

Please read the How to get the best out of this forum to ensure you provide the information needed for people to help you.

For instance provide a link to the datasheet/manual of your digital frame. Ensure you have read it and it contains information that might be needed e.g. the interfaces available and whatever you call "upload modality".

A few thoughts and questions about your post.

• The USB connection in your picture suggests you want to use the Arduino as USB device. But your text suggests you connected the frame to your computer which is a USB Host and the frame would be the USB Device. Please confirm whether the frame can be a USB HOST or USB Device or both.

• The Arduino Uno is likely the wrong product. If you can control the frame from a PC, a Raspberry Pi is likely more suitable.

• Handling USB is complicated business. What are your electronics and programming experience? This is less of an issue with a Raspberry Pi because USB is handled by the OS.

• A short description of how the frame works would be nice. e.g. it works on Widows PC only, appears as mass storage device, needs special software or not ...

You are suffering the "Arduino to do absolutely anything" syndrome. :roll_eyes:

Sorry, no such thing! :astonished:

Your proposal fails on (at least) two counts. Your frame connects as a "device" to a USB "host" and the easiest hosts to use would be a Pi or Pi Zero which also have networking capability (and since you mention it, SD storage already).

But I doubt whether the frame will re-start normal display if you simply perform a software disconnect of the USB, it is more likely to require a hardware disconnect and possibly user interaction. And the frame definitely will not be a USB host, will be a mass storage device and will be almost completely undocumented. :grinning:

There will be actual IOT/ Alexa-enabled frames of course, but this is probably not a way to do it on the cheap! Have you noted that this frame already "looks" at a WiFi share on an adjacent PC for its pictures and if you arrange for the pictures in that directory to change, it is supposed to switch to the new gallery anyway after a certain time?

Paul__B:
You are suffering the "Arduino to do absolutely anything" syndrome. :roll_eyes:

Sorry, no such thing! :astonished:

Your proposal fails on (at least) two counts. Your frame connects as a "device" to a USB "host" and the easiest hosts to use would be a Pi or Pi Zero which also have networking capability (and since you mention it, SD storage already).

But I doubt whether the frame will re-start normal display if you simply perform a software disconnect of the USB, it is more likely to require a hardware disconnect and possibly user interaction. And the frame definitely will not be a USB host, will be a mass storage device and will be almost completely undocumented. :grinning:

There will be actual IOT/ Alexa-enabled frames of course, but this is probably not a way to do it on the cheap! Have you noted that this frame already "looks" at a WiFi share on an adjacent PC for its pictures and if you arrange for the pictures in that directory to change, it is supposed to switch to the new gallery anyway after a certain time?

you've been very clear and polite! i supposed that a microcontroller couldn't do such a thing, but once the idea bumped in my head i couldn't simply ignore it ^-^. i checked if the wifi features were available on this frame but the answer is no :frowning:
this means i have to get a pi as soon as possible!
thank you!