Control Arduino with a touchscreen?

Ok I had a interesting idea. I currently planing to construct a computer chassis and wanted to have something to control the lights in the computer with something. Someone recommender me to check out Arduino and what a amazing controller it is :D I started to get loads of ideas on what to do with it and control a number of things in my home. Anyway mainly i will use it for the computer and then see what else I can use it for. I want to be able to control the lights I have connected to it to do different things like fade, blink, sound controlled, HD activity etc. but I was wondering how I would control it without having to use allot of buttons to mess upp my otherwise clean design. Then it hit me... a touch controlled LCD. Is that even possible to do? Take in mind I very new on electronics but I'm a really good learner and I pick things up fast. So the screen will have some options so that you can select the different lights I have and then tell them how they should work. I plan to use the Mega version since the Uno doesn't have enough outputs for my vision :D I do have some knowledge in C++ so I think I will be able to manage that part. Alternatively is it possible to control it live through the USB? So I have a program on the computer to control the lights interactive?

Alternatively is it possible to control it live through the USB? So I have a program on the computer to control the lights interactive?

Not only is it possible, it’s much easier. The accuracy of the touch screens that the Arduino can interface with leaves a lot to be desired, and the ability of the Arduino to generate pretty graphics is minimal at best.

PaulS:

Alternatively is it possible to control it live through the USB? So I have a program on the computer to control the lights interactive?

Not only is it possible, it's much easier. The accuracy of the touch screens that the Arduino can interface with leaves a lot to be desired, and the ability of the Arduino to generate pretty graphics is minimal at best.

Ok that sounds good :D Then the problem is how I should do it :p But I will buy the guide book and read up on the internet on how to use it so hopefully I will be able to do it. Maybe it could be possible to get a touch-screen that you connect to the computer so it's the computer that draws it up and then sends the information through the USB to the Arduino controller?