Control dc motor 4 wires

Hi so I think I’ve got a shunt motor with four different wires one pair for the field and one for the armature. How do I connect the two wire pairs to my arduino motor shield? And how do I control the motor with regards to power? I’d like to be able to reverse it.

(the other four smaller wires are for some kind of sensor, I don’t know what to do with those yet)

thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Could be a step motor. What are the resistances between the four motor wires?

I'm certain it isn't it was in a leaf parking brake and it had a gearing which makes it impossible that it is a stepper.

Many steppers have gearing.

If you DON'T see brushes and brush holders on the motor, it is not a shunt motor. A shunt motor will have brushes on the armature and the field wires and the armature wires will be connected in parallel, hence "shunt".

Paul

Hi,
OPs image;
ea9c4cf17dfec6edbbadb6eacd8f5402deb2a9f8.jpg

Google leaf parking brake actuator

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

Anyone have a Leaf electrical schematic to see what all the wires do?

Probably a 4-wire 3-phase brushless motor plus encoder. A wye-connecter 3-phase motor sometimes has the c common point brought out to allow unipolar drive. This might be driver unipolar like a 3-phase stepper, or trapezoidal or sinusoidal 3-phase waveform like a BLDC or AC servo motor.

The sensor may be an incremental encoder, or hall sensor even (usually that means 5 wires, not 4 though).