control my RC car from my computer using arduino???

Is there a way I can control an existing, off the shelf RC car, using my arduino from a computer?

The problem will be to find some way for the Arduino to control the wireless transmitter that comes with the car.

Unless you have the equipment and the know-how to "sniff" the communication between the transmitter and the car I can't think of any easy way to use a different transmitter.

Is it worth spending money on a solution that involves replacing the receiver and the electronics inside the car?

...R

yeah I guess the question is can 2.4ghz be read by arduino? Is there a device that can do that? Or can I hook the controller up to the arduino board and get the data that way?

Sure, there is a device that can read 2.4 and talk to the arduino.
Hobby RC receivers are that device.
There are libraries for reading RC receivers in to the arduino.

But how are you going to generate that 2.4? Does your RC transmitter have an external input? Aircraft transmitters have a buddy box port for just that. But I am not sure the ground transmitters do.

Or were you thinking of some other 2.4ghz protocol?

netrate:
yeah I guess the question is can 2.4ghz be read by arduino? Is there a device that can do that? Or can I hook the controller up to the arduino board and get the data that way?

You need to provide details of the car and the RC system that comes with it.

I have been assuming you are using one of the really cheap units and AFAIK they don't use 2.4GHz.

You can get very small 2.4GHz "receivers" made by Deltang which use Cypress wireless chips and which work with some Spektrum RC controllers. That leads me to think that the Cypress wireless system is used by Spektrum. I have done some Arduino programming with the Deltang modules but they are expensive and difficult to work with because they are so small. I am not aware of anyone making a cheap module with a Cypress wireless chip.

The more common 2.4GHz system used in Arduinos is the Nordic nRf24L01+ which is (deliberately?) incompatible with the Cypress system. I suspect (but don't know) that some of the RC systems may use Nordic wireless systems. The nRf24L01+ modules that I use with my Arduino cost about £2.

If it was my project I think I would just modify the whole thing to work with an Arduino and an nRF24L01+

...R

What I really want to do is have the controller hooked up to the arduino and then code the arduino so that is controls the car instead of using the joystick. Does that make sense?

netrate:
What I really want to do is have the controller hooked up to the arduino and then code the arduino so that is controls the car instead of using the joystick. Does that make sense?

Hi,
Exactly, PC to Arduino to Exisiting Tx.
Check how the controls on the Tx work and put arduino controlled replacements in series or parallel or in place of.
That way you do not need to look at the RF at all.
Tom... :slight_smile:

netrate:

It makes sense.

But how can we help when you don't tell us anything about the stuff you have?

...R