Control Nema 17 stepper via Python

Hi,

This is my first Arduino project and I'd like to control a Nema 17 with an Arduino Mega 2560 and RAMPS 1.4 via Python but I don't know how.

So far I have installed the Marlin software and the Pronterface program, but I want to control the motor myself via Python.
Do you have any sample code of how I use pyserial or something else to establish contact with the Arduino and control the motor via Arduino?

I thank you in advance for any support!

To control a stepper requires only a very small program, and there are plenty of examples on line. You will need a suitable motor driver.

If you don't know C/C++, start with the simple examples that come with Arduino, in order to learn the language and special features of the board.

TheHummel512:
So far I have installed the Marlin software and the Pronterface program, but I want to control the motor myself via Python.

Does that mean that you want to use your own program (rather than Pronterface) to send GCode to Marlin?

OR

Does it mean that you want to create your own simple stepper motor program (rather than Marlin) and you want to send commands (not GCode) to your Arduino program from your own Python program?

If the latter is what you want have a look at this Simple Python - Arduino demo and at this Simple Stepper Code

These links may also help ...
Stepper Motor Basics

AccelStepper library

...R

Thanks! You have helped me a lot!