Control output of existing TENS unit via Arduino UNO

I have a working, 2-channel TENS unit. I'd like to control the output of the unit via an Arduino UNO board. To be clear, I don't need to control the various settings of the TENS (pulse width, pulse frequency) - I really just want to have programmatic control over the two pots that control output on the unit.

While I'm a professional software engineer, I'm very much an electronics newbie. I assume the easiest way to accomplish my goal would be to simply set the two POTS on the TENS unit to their max values and then somehow control the power that gets fed to the TENS via the Arduino. Is that a sensible approach?

Any thoughts or specifics on how to accomplish this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm not sure what that is but you are saying you need arduino to vary pots?

You can have arduino run a motor to rotate the pots, will it work? One servo motor for each pot? You can also remove the pots and replace with components that arduino can control. That will require the schematic of the device. Could be difficult.

liudr:
I'm not sure what that is but you are saying you need arduino to vary pots?

Not exactly, though that's certainly one possibility. I was thinking (probably naively) that I could somehow "insert" the arduino inline with the current TENS circuitry - either just ahead of the POTS or just behind the POTS to control the power either going into them or coming out of them. Then, I could just set the POTS on 100% and control the actual throughput via the Arduino. That makes sense in my head, but maybe not in the real world - I don't know...

liudr:
You can have arduino run a motor to rotate the pots, will it work? One servo motor for each pot?

Yeah, that's an idea. I'd need the ability to control both direction and the overall rotation of the motor(s) as the POTS only turn approx 300 degrees in total. What would that take - some kind of stepper motor I guess?

liudr:
You can also remove the pots and replace with components that arduino can control. That will require the schematic of the device. Could be difficult.

I'd guess that's a bigger job than my (lack of) experience can tolerate right now. ;^)

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff