Control the speed of a small servo motor and LED brightness fade over 5 minutes?

Hello everyone,
This is my first post and I thought I would just ask for some tips on buying the correct components etc

I would like to control the speed of a small servo motor and LED, from high speed/brightness to off/black precisely over five minutes. The motor will be rotating a spool that needs some torque.

I see there are a lot of tutorials for motor speed and LED fading, but I would really like some tips on what components/boards to buy and some ideas about fading light speed over five minutes.

These servos seem popular and simple connectivity too the Arduino.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16641

Thanks in advance and please excuse my noob brain.

O.

Slowly dimming an LED - you are going to decriment the value you are sending to a PWM output. Figure out the number of steps and delay between steps. Look at the BlinkWithoutDelay in the Examples\Digital folder.

That servo looks to be a standard servo - it has approx 180 degrees of rotation. Are you thinking of a continuous rotation servo? You might want to look into DC Motor control or Stepper Motor control, depending on torque & speed. DC Motor control uses PWM, Stepper motor control typically requires 4 digital outputs.

Pretty much any LED and a current-limiting resistor are all you need for LED components. Here's a link:

You'll probably want to use a pin that can do pulse-width modulation (PWM) to dim the LED - there are 255 steps to choose from, so you could either increment by 1 every 1176 ms (approx) or go from 0 to 249 every 1200 ms and then go straight to 255 for full brightness.

Motors would be similar - but I have no recommendations for hardware for motors; never used 'em.

Thanks for the tips!!
I'll get back after I have done some experiments.
O.