Control Ultrasonic Cleaner With Arduino

Hey guys,

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, unfortunately it only runs for 3 to 8 minutes at a time so I want to use my arduino to make it run for longer.

I've already blown up one nano attempting this, so I'm going to ask for help before I destroy more.

Basically the Ultrasonic cleaner used 3 pins to communicate with a digital display with the start, stop, and timer functions. The 3 pins are Ground, +5v and a pin used simply to turn the Ultrasonic transducer on. While I'm waiting for more Nanos to arrive, I've simply used a switch to connect the +5v and central data pin so it currently works using the switch.

I have a rough idea of how to do it, but evidently I don't fully know how as I've already destroyed a board.

I imagine I have to use a transistor to act as switch between the +5v and data pin on the ultrasonic cleaner, but I'd like a little help (maybe even a diagram? :D) making it all work without destroying another nano.

you could always use a relay to interface - that'll isolate all the various unknown voltages .

regards

Allan

Am I over complicating this? If I simply connect the central data pin to a pin on the arduino, and the ground pin to the arduino ground pin.

Would this work, or would I blow another board?

Do you measure any voltage on the control pin to ground?

Probably - but

you've already blown up one board using what seems to me to be a perfectly sensible arrangement.
I can't tell from your post exactly what's going on.

the relay ( or an opto isolator) is a certainty

regards

Allan

the relay ( or an opto isolator) is a certainty

I would recommend anyone with little or no electronics experience to use optos as a matter of "general principles" until such time they have gained enough experience to understand when it is ok to not use them.

Yeah. So.

Don't connect the data pin, and ground pin to an arduino.

I measured the voltage across those 2 pins and it was at 3.6v

Blew the fuse on my ultrasonic cleaner.

Measuring voltage would not cause a fuse to blow, you must have used your meter incorrectly.

LarryD:
Measuring voltage would not cause a fuse to blow, you must have used your meter incorrectly.

I mean it blew after I connected the arduino, however before doing that the voltage I measured across it was 3.6v

I've opted to use a relay, so I've ordered that. It's a much simpler way, but I'd have rather done it with the components I already had without having to order something else.

thanks anyway guys!

I like it when a plan comes together.

Bet the ultrasonic cleaner electronics is powered directly by the mains to save money..

Hence its '0v' is connected to one side of the mains. Connecting an arduino earthed via it's USB or PSU cable will cause troubles!

A relay would be a good idea in these circumstances Note that it's coil will probably need more current than an arduino pin can deliver, so you'll need a transistor as well.
And don't forget the flywheel diode across the coil.

An opto coupler would take less and could be driven directly from an arduino output pin via a small resistor - say 330ohm.

regards

Allan

A circuit described by someone with no electronic experience is usually not described correctly.
Something still doesn't add up.
You are either not telling us everything or you don't know what to tell us or you are not describing the circuit correctly. I suspect this gas to do with the fact that you don't know what's on the other end of tge pin used to turn on the cleaner and you are basically "flying blind" when you hooked them up to the arduino or you would NOT have blown a fuse .
Logic circuits don't blow fuses. I suspect this story isn't over.

You're not wrong that I'm flying blind.

I have a degree in Software engineering, not electronics engineering. I took a single class in my 4 years to do with electronics, so I'm not great at it! ahah

I've attached a picture of the circuit, the bottom right has the 3 pins as previously mentioned. And on the left is the power in, and also the power to the transducer

As far as I'm aware the display board was completely a timer IC of some kind and did nothing other than send a HIGH signal onto the data pin to turn on the transducer.

Other than those 3 pins and their respective voltages, I don't see why the other circuitry is relevant (but please correct me if I'm wrong) as the arduino is simply acting as a bypass to the in built timer.

The arduino relay I've ordered will switch happily enough with the arduino its self, so at this point it's simply "why did I blow up my boards, and what can I do to avoid that next time"

Image is too large for the forum, here it is on imgur: http://i.imgur.com/FWY8MeB.jpg

AppleAssassin:
The arduino relay I’ve ordered will switch happily enough with the arduino its self, so at this point it’s simply “why did I blow up my boards, and what can I do to avoid that next time”

How did you give power to the blown nano? By usb connected to computer? I don’t see an isolation transformer in the picture, so most probably that circuit is NOT isolated from mains, going with rele it’s the best choice.

Ciao, Ale.

Yeah it was from USB from my computer. So if it wasn't isolated from the mains, that'll be why it also tripped the circuit breaker in my house then?

At least I know the relay will work without a hitch

I still don't think you have explained why the fuse blew.

Draw a picture of how you wired it up and post a photo of it.

Did it trip the current breaker on a particular circuit? or the main rcd trip?

A short between live and neutral would cause the first, a short between either live or neutral to earth would cause the second…

regards

Allan

It scares me to think that the OP was connecting the mains to the arduino.