Control video playback speed with heart rate sensor

Hello guys,

I don’t know if this is the right place for me to ask this as I’m fairly new here. I’m doing an installation for my multimedia class but it’s my first time using Arduino. I’m trying to find a way to control video playback speed using a heart rate sensor. I looked up in the web but I couldn’t find anything that would help me.

Thnxxx

For this usecase I would highly suggest to use an raspberry Pi, since Arduino does not have enough computing power to play a video.

Raspberry Pi has HDMI standard onboard and you can play videos on it with the OMXPlayer.

My advice would be:

Write a Python script that will get the heart rate from the heart rate sensor.

Then, use an OMXPlayer Python wrapper to speed up or speed down the video you want to play, corresponding to the heartrate it has measured.

To be honest, this is not a nice solution. But it will surely work! I've created something similar this way.

As it is a project for my multimedia class, my teacher made it imperative for us to use arduinos!! But thank you for your suggestion!!

You can either use an Arduino as a pretend USB keyboard and enter keyboard shortcuts to change the frame-rate of your video (only works with Arduino Leonardo, Due, Zero, and Micro, to name a few) or you can send your heart-rate data over the serial port to your computer and have a simple Python program play the video at a certain speed depending on what numbers your Arduino sends.