controling a stepper motor

We have a foam cutting machine with a stepper motor that we need to operate at different speeds, reverse, and start and stop. WE have been looking for the hardware and programing to get this done. I did the "Knob" example and got my motor to operate, but this will not work on the machane we are putting together as we need a lot more flexibility. We have H bridges, A4988 motor drivers, Arduino boards of all types and all the electronic stuff we can think of we just can not find a schematic, and sketch to run it and all the searches we do are making our eyes cross.

Any sujestions will be welcome

Sammy

Suggestion http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/CNC_Conversion.html

Use a proper stepping motor driver, not just a H-bridge.

Thank you we have stepper motor drivers also, but are having proublems finding a schematic, all the sites want to sell something which is will and fine, but we need instrucyions to do it. We have bought books and they mostly show how to make lights blink, and then telling the theroy of how they work but very little in practcal usage

Sammy

pick something and post it.

bi-polar, A4988....

you can connect these easily.

is that all you need ? a wiring schematic ?

segg3060: Thank you we have stepper motor drivers also, but are having proublems finding a schematic, all the sites want to sell something which is will and fine, but we need instrucyions to do it.

Was there not a schematic on that site? Rhetorical question because there was a full downloadable schematic of the whole thing.

You may find some useful stuff in stepper motor basics and this simple stepper code

Then have a go at writing your own program and getting it to work. If it does not, post the code and explain what actually happens and what should happen.

Develop your program a piece at a time and get each part working before moving to the next. Have a look at planning and implementing a program.

The Pololu A4988 web page has a lot of useful info including a connection diagram.

...R

the A4988 is a very simple and common stepper driver, works with a lot of motors. you said you got a knob example to work,

here how this site works.

you try something, it works or does not. you chooose to make it work or go a different way. two choices each time.

you come here, ask one of two questions.

1) can you help me get this to work

2) I need to do this thing... can you suggest how I go about it ?

unfortunately, too often people come with #1 and the responses are #2 (pun intended, VERY intended) alas, often people post #1 when they should have posted #2.

if you want us to get things to work, you have to be VERY specific of what you have and what you did. post your items, schematics of what you tried, photos of your layout, data sheets to the variouis bits, etc

so far, you have not told us any of that.

I expect that all you will get is #2 until you pick a motor and a driver and be specific about your goal.