Controling Servo on a Adafruit Servo Shield with a pot?

I recently got a Servo Shield from Adafruit as I'm working on a project that requires more than only 6 servos. I was wondering if it was possible to control each servo with their own potentiometer?

Well, Arduino UNO has only 6 analog inputs, other boards like Mega have more (not sure how many), which Arduino do you have?

I have a Arduino UNO. Is there a way to do it with the the servo shield though? I've already invested in the UNO and servo shield.

It could be done using external hardware like bilateral switches but thats beyond me, sorry. :confused:

Megas are fairly inexpensive now, $8 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATmega2560-16AU-CH340G-MEGA-2560-R3-Board-Free-USB-Cable-For-Arduino-H5-/111769654925?hash=item1a05fd968d:g:pQsAAOSwHnFVjnzJ

You could use a button to indicate which servos you want to control.

There are lots of other possible input devices. You could use two buttons to control a servo. You could use a game controller like a PlayStation 2 controller, Gamecube controller, Wii Nunchuck, Nintendo Classic or some other controller which can be used with the Arduino to control the servos.

If you wanted to use more than 6 pots, there might be a way you could do it with an Uno. (It's 2am and I'll want to think about this again in the morning but for now it seems like it might work.) My thought is to multiplex the pots. Instead of connecting the high side of the pot to 5V rail, connect it to a digital pin. The wiper from multiple pots could then be connected to a single analog pin. The pots connected to a single analog pin are energized one at a time and the analog reading taken while the pot is energized. The digital pin should probably be set as an input when not energizing the pot to limit the interference caused to other pots.

I think you'd need to connect both the high side of the pot and the low side of the pot to a digital pin. Along with the high side being energized, the low side of the pot would need to set low by the other digital pin. As with the high side, when not energized, the low side digital pin should be set as an input so the pots don't interfere with each other.

This isn't really a great solution since you need two digital pins for each pot but these pots would be pretty easy to control with a 74HC595 shift register. With three digital pins(to control the '595) and multiple pots connected to each analog pin, you could probably read a couple dozen pots. At least this is what my 2am brain is claiming.

I'll try to remember to look at this in the morning to make sure it really make sense.