Controlling 15 LED lamps for stairway lighting animation

Dear Arduino friends,

a friend of mine wants to control / animate his stairway lighting. The lighting consist of 15 LC-EL-131-W recessed luminaire. He wants to have an animation such that if the switch is triggered, one luminaire after the other is switched one with a time delay (e. g. one second).

My Idea to get this working is to use an Arudino Mega in combination with with 15 Littlefuse HE751A0510 relais.

As the relais work with a coil current of 10mA, I want to use the digital I/O Pins of the Mega to control the relais.

Do you see any problems with my solution? Do you advice other solutions?

Best regards
Dennis

Why do you want to use a Mega 2560 instead of a Nano?

your parts should work.

you will need to run one wire from each light to your control panel where all your relays are.
or you will need to run a control wire to the relay at the light.

18,48 € for 10 parts is not too expensive.

I suggest you make a simple wiring diagram and post that.

I would offer that running one common power wire to all lights and then from each light, run a separate wire from the light back to your control panel. then all your low voltage is in one box and all your AC is in wall where it is rated for AC.
that way. all your 230v is done by a proper electrical contractor and all your low voltage is easy to access.

This would reduce the wire distance for your signal and reduce the possible interference from AC wire that is next to your control signals.

However note also the need to keep all the wires for the 230 V parts to the relays together in a bundle. You must avoid separating the two sides of the same circuit and forming an open loop which can radiate interference.

In general, this means your mains power - "live" and "neutral" - goes together to the relay board where the "live" connects to the relays while the "neutral" travels along with the switched wires to the luminaires, splitting together as it goes with the connections to the individual units.

You could use a sensor at the top of the stairs
And one at the bottom

First sensor trips lights go on from that end to the other.
Second sensor trips lights go off from starting end.

Paul__B:
Why do you want to use a Mega 2560 instead of a Nano?

The nano has only 14 digital I/O pins, doesn't he? But I need 15...

~~I found this relais board and decided to use this instead of the single relais. ~~ Edit: Seems not to be such a good idea.

Paul__B:
However note also the need to keep all the wires for the 230 V parts to the relays together in a bundle. You must avoid separating the two sides of the same circuit and forming an open loop which can radiate interference.

In general, this means your mains power - "live" and "neutral" - goes together to the relay board where the "live" connects to the relays while the "neutral" travels along with the switched wires to the luminaires, splitting together as it goes with the connections to the individual units.

So you mean something like the attached image ? Keeping the wires as closely as possible together such that one wire goes through the relais while the other bends before it?

dave-in-nj:
You could use a sensor at the top of the stairs
And one at the bottom

First sensor trips lights go on from that end to the other.
Second sensor trips lights go off from starting end.

Nice Idea, I will think about that.

RelaisBoardArrows.png

dragoner00:
My Idea to get this working is to use an Arudino Mega in combination with with 15 Littlefuse HE751A0510 relais.

I just saw that the relais are specified for 300V DC. Can a DC relais be used for AC?

RelaisBoardArrows.png

dragoner00:
I just saw that the relais are specified for 300V DC. Can a DC relais be used for AC?

I can't read any of the writing on your relays but they look just like the ones I have on my relay module. They can do either A/C or DC. The constraint on mine seems to be how much current they can handle. For mine it's 10A at various A/C voltages and a max of 30V DC - did you misread yours?

dragoner00:
The Nano has only 14 digital I/O pins, doesn't he? But I need 15...

No, the Nano has 20 digital I/O pins, as does the UNO. The Nano also has two analog-only pins that the UNO does not have. The Pro Mini has all these but no USB interface so you use a USB adapter to program it but when the adapter is not connected, pins 0 and 1 are freely available for general I/O use. So actually, 18 freely available digital I/O pins would seem to be quite sufficient for your needs.

dragoner00:
~~I found this relais board and decided to use this instead of the single relays. ~~Edit: Seems not to be such a good idea.

It is indeed, a very bad design in many regards. Two of the common 8-relay boards would be quite OK.

dragoner00:
So you mean something like the attached image ? Keeping the wires as closely as possible together such that one wire goes through the relays while the other bends before it?
RelaisBoardArrows.png

That is in general, the way to do it. Note by the way, that I believe the relay common terminal is the one in the middle of each triplet. :grinning:

dragoner00:
I just saw that the relays are specified for 300V DC. Can a DC relay be used for AC?

It is quite unusual for a relay to be specified for 300 VDC. Mostly they are limited to 30 VDC due to the risk of damage due to DC arcing. These are however, reed relays where the contacts are in a vacuum and should not arc! Even so, I would be very cautious about using them to control your luminaires, especially since 230 VAC (nominally) peaks at 323 Volts. So they are not appropriate.

I think the four or 8-relay boards will be your best bet. :sunglasses:

all relays have at least 3 ratings.
one is for inductive loads like motors. this is always separate from resistive loads.
then AC ? amps
and DC ? amps

if the ratings are not on the case, then check the data sheet.

for the typical Songle found on the 5V or 12V modules
it does 250VAC @ 10 amps

when you run the AC wire from the furtheest light back to your contol, you have two choices.
connect one leg of your power and daisy chain that one wire from relay to relay.
then from the furthest relay, on wire would come back to the contorl panel
from the penultimate relay, one wire comes back...
and one wire from each of the remaining relays.
all these need to be together in the same bundle. they are all AC and the one common wire needs to be next to the other wire.

the other choice is to run 2 AC wires to each light. in either case all the AC wires should be adjacent to it's compliment (other leg)

yes, the Songle will work but, they will click with a definate noise.