Controlling 18 Stepper Motor.

Hii, I've been working on a project with Arduino Mega for controlling 18 stepper motor and driving them through A4988 driver (one driver for each motor) now i stuck in managing power supplies for both motor and driver, as driver will be require 3.5-5v for powering it up and external supply for motor. As arduino have limited port for supplying 5v supply for driver is there any way i can easily manage or distribute this supply so that i don't need to use separate supply for each of them. Or is there any power supply module available which can provide multiple port for 3-5-5V supply?

I don’t really understand your question.

Are you asking whether the Arduino’s 5v supply can be used to supply 5v power for 18 A4988’s? According the the Allegro A4988 data sheet it requires 5mA of logic supply current so 18 of them would draw 90 mA which would be within the scope of the Arduino 5v pin.

However a better strategy might be to generate a stable 1 amp or 2 amp 5v supply from the motor power supply and power the A4988s and the Arduino from that. You have not told us what motor power supply you are using so I can’t seuugest how you would generate the 5v from it.

…R

yes my question seems quiet clear... however just to add i will power up arduino using 12v adapter which certainly have some impact on current draw limit from 5v supply port of arduino, also is there any power module available for Arduino for converting 230v to multiple 5v dc output? So that clean wiring can be done.

m7nab:
yes my question seems quiet clear

Sorry, it's not clear to me, even if it is clear to you.

... however just to add i will power up arduino using 12v adapter which certainly have some impact on current draw limit from 5v supply port of arduino, also is there any power module available for Arduino for converting 230v to multiple 5v dc output? So that clean wiring can be done.

IMHO the simplest (and cheap) way to get a 5v supply is with a USB power adapter. You can get versions that work from mains power and others (usually intended for cars) that work from 12v power. I have a few 12v USB power adapters that cost about £1 each.

...R

The A4988 requires an absolute minimum supply voltage of 8V, so you'll need 12V or 24V power
for the motor supply - so if you derive the Arduino 5V supply from this (say via a DC-DC buck
converter), then the same 5V can run to all of the A4988's too..

For multi-way distribution a screw terminal busbar is one approach, but without knowing how you are
mounting the A4988 modules its hard to say. If you socket them on stripboard for instance you'd
need to hand-wire the stripboard to bus the power and ground.