Controlling 2 Stepper Motors With Arduino - Without Motor Shield

Hey folks,

What I need help on is to control 2 stepper motors. The motor driver circuits out there like l239 etc are either for 2 DC motors or a single stepper motor.

Any idea guys?

A little more information would be helpful. How much current/voltage are we talking about, and are they unipolar or bipolar stepper motors.

I personally have used a bunch of bipolar stepper motors with the sparkfun easydriver. It is very easy to use and is relatively inexpensive. You only need a direction and step pin for each motor. If you have the pins you can also add a sleep line for each motor (or shared by the two) to cut the power to the motor when you don't need it on.

You could do all of this with normal H-bridge DC drivers, but you need two for each motor and things get more complicated and more expensive.

jroorda:
A little more information would be helpful. How much current/voltage are we talking about, and are they unipolar or bipolar stepper motors.

I personally have used a bunch of bipolar stepper motors with the sparkfun easydriver. It is very easy to use and is relatively inexpensive. You only need a direction and step pin for each motor. If you have the pins you can also add a sleep line for each motor (or shared by the two) to cut the power to the motor when you don’t need it on.

You could do all of this with normal H-bridge DC drivers, but you need two for each motor and things get more complicated and more expensive.

Nifty little board. Why didn’t I find that sparkfun easydriver before I designed a similar circuit based on a L297 controller driving a L298 H-Bridge. The L297 only offers down to half-step, not eighth-step like the A3967 based sparkfun board does… Well, I’ve already purchased my prototype parts and have started bread-boarding it.

Points taken guys. That little board will do the work :wink: Thanks! :smiley:

Pololu carry a number of similar products - a bit cheaper too.