Controlling 5050 SMD RGB LED with LPD8806

Hello, I am trying to setup a series of LEDs. And I am struggling with how to do this. I have a datacenter that I have been given the task of creating aesthetics for. I want to take a set of Individually controllable LEDs and use them to control a bunch of strips of non-Individually controlled LEDs. I have 5 meters of this strand and 5 meters of this this strand.

So basicly I would like to control the 5 meters of the (cheap) 5050 SMB LED strip with one of the controllers on the (expensive) LPD8806 strip.

My goal is to be able to give each rack a color at any point in time, but all the LEDs on one rack will be the same color.

I am comfortable with the programming side of things, however what I need help with is wiring them. Can I just use the 3 output pins on half of the LPD8806 chip with a secondary power supply (12 volt rail) on the second strip, or will that be too many amps through the chip? I welcome all suggestions and recommendations.

KrauseS10:
Can I just use the 3 output pins on half of the LPD8806 chip with a secondary power supply (12 volt rail) on the second strip, or will that be too many amps through the chip?

It sure will!

You will need either buffer transistors, or it may be seriously worth considering buying more WS2812 strips.

Actually, now I think of it, they sell "repeater" modules for the 12 V RGB strips - but they repeat from 12 V logic, not 5 (as they are common anode systems IIRC). That would probably work from a LPD8806 chip if it was not connected to any other 5 V LEDs.

To post links, use the "link" icon - the little "chain" - not "code".